Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 AM

480 posts, read 878,797 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Hubby and I will be visiting Columbia in a couple of weeks for our house-hunting trip. First time for both of us to visit, so we'd like to see a few things other than homes for rent/sale. We'll be staying at a hotel in the Northeast but definitely visiting downtown--Five Points and Vista. We’ll focus our housing search on Forest Acres and Rosewood.

So can I get a few dining and sightseeing ideas in the Northeast and downtown? A good Mexican restaurant, casual Italian and maybe a couple of bar-and-grill type places, something not too expensive or pretentious where we can take a break from house-hunting, maybe have a beer or glass of wine, and look over our notes, etc. Our hotel offers breakfast, so we'll be dining out for lunch and dinner for three days

Also, what should every first-time visitor see and do in Columbia, something that gives us a real taste of the town?

We won’t have the kids with us on this trip so it’s our one chance for a while to enjoy “grown-up” Columbia. Where’s a good place to hear live music--singer-songwriter/rock/alt-country type music where a couple of 40-somethings won’t stand out like a sore thumb?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 11,515 times
If you're staying the Northeast, definitely go to Solstice.

Solstice Kitchen

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,890 times
I am a giant fan of Pasta Fresca for some Italian, El Burrito(5 points)is good for lunch, and I have always liked the Gourmet Shop(5 points) for lunch too - they aren't open for dinner. Ristorante Divino is really good as well (Vista), but it also costs more than the others listed. If you want a super good meal and a good wine selection I think Hampton Street Vineyards (downtown) is excellent choice, but it isn't cheap...good tho.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,029,003 times
I'll have to say one place we hit on our first visit ( and have been going back ever since ) is the Carolina Ale House. Now it may be something of a 'chain' down here but was new to us. There is one in the vista area, plus one over in harbison mall area. Think sports bar with real good food; plus the one downtown has a nice outdoor eating spot.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:03 PM

316 posts, read 976,286 times
Liberty Tap Room is down town and is a bar and grill. I have always liked their food. Mr. Friendlys in 5 Points had great food. Bull Market is another good spot down town.

New Orleans is a nice place to sit outside and their deck over looks the river.

Across from New Orleans is Al's Upstairs which is not the cheapest Itilian in town, but it's really good in my opinion.

Delaney's Irish Pub in 5 points is another bar and grill and they have reasonable prices on their food as well.

In the Village at Sandhill in the Northeast, the is The Village Bistro and Red Bowl Asian Bistro if you like Asian food. Also in Sandhill is a great little place called Corked that has wine by the glass and high gravity beer. They are a retail shop, but they have a small bar. They do not serve food, but if you are looking to have a drink in a relaxed place, it does the trick.

In the Northeast you can visit Sesqui State Park. It's $2 per person to get in and there is a lake and nature trails as well as bike trails and camping.

Down town you have River Front Park and the River Walk. Both are free and they make for a nice walk along the river.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 PM

480 posts, read 878,797 times
Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I want to try them all!

I look forward to strolling by the rivers, too. We've got the Mississippi here, but public access and walking trails leave something to be desired, especially during Memphis in May. I imagine Columbia's riverfront is more like Chattanooga's.

Thanks again.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,218,358 times
Note the lack of recommendations for Mexican restaurants in Columbia, SC. This is more for the locals than the original poster, but Taqueria Jalisco (on St Andrews Rd in the same place as Thai Lotus) is actually good. I ate there last night, and their potato burrito is amazing. The free chips are not the usual grease-laden kind, and the free salsa is actually spicy. Those of us who eat at the other Mexican restaurants in Columbia know that the food is generally toned down too far, right?

Taqueria Jalisco Mexican Restaurant
612 Saint Andrews Rd # 10
Columbia, SC 29210
(803) 731-5546

Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,573,101 times
Most of my favorite restaurants are in the Vista, Five Points, Devine Street and the Main Street area.

Five Points:

Baan Sawan - Thai
Sushi Yoshi - Sushi
Gourmet Shop - lunch
DiPrato's Deli - lunch
Garibaldi's - Italian and Fish

Devine Street

Za's - Pizza
Tabouli - Middle Eastern
Mediterranean Tea Room - Lebanese
Devine Foods - Greek
Dianne's on Devine - Italian

Main Street area

Villa Tronco - Italian
Hampton Street Vineyard - Continental/French
Hennesey's - Continental
Mac's on Main - Live Jazz/Soul food

Vista

M Vista - Asian/Sushi
Bull Market - Greek
Gervais & Vine - tapas
Sakitumi - sushi
Motor Supply Co - eclectic
Z Pizza - organic pizza
Mellow Mushroom - pizza
Divino - Italian
Hush - tapas
Nonnah's - dessert
Liberty Tap Room - variety, but good for a bar

Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM

393 posts, read 1,218,358 times
Is Baan Sawan ever open?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM

150 posts, read 441,818 times
Bar and grill, definitely Rockaway Athletic Club on Rosewood Drive. They are famous for their burgers. You can get boiled peanuts if you ask (and they have them that day). A great hangout. They also own Pizza Man right next door. It's good too.

Villa Tronco for Italian. Downtown, family owned and has been around since WWII.

Dessert and coffee: Know you didn't ask about this one but Nonnah's in the Vista is not to be missed.

I understand that New Orleans is in bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area