Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:06 AM

10 posts, read 18,963 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Phoenix to Columbia in March. No kids, would like to live within walking/bicycle distance to shops, restaurants, and good sushi . Would like to start in an apt or townhouse with 2 car garage, nice patio. Outdoor yard not a must. Desire 15-20 mins to the airport. Visiting the Columbia area 2 weekends from now...where should we start looking for our new home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbre View Post
We are moving from Phoenix to Columbia in March. No kids, would like to live within walking/bicycle distance to shops, restaurants, and good sushi . Would like to start in an apt or townhouse with 2 car garage, nice patio. Outdoor yard not a must. Desire 15-20 mins to the airport. Visiting the Columbia area 2 weekends from now...where should we start looking for our new home?
What price range are you looking at?

Depending on that, you probably are going to want to stick to the downtown/5 Points/Shandon areas. Townhomes aren't necessarily abundant in that area, but there are a fair amount of apartments. Devine St./Five Points offer plenty of shopping opportunities that you can bike/walk to. I'm not a fan of sushi, but I've heard there are a couple of decent choices for that cuisine downtown as well as plenty of other restaurants.

This area would put you at about 15-20 minutes from CAE.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Price range for rent would be $800 to $1000 but can flex for the right location/unit. Thanks for the pointer to a couple of areas I should include in my search. My husband is originally from Columbia but has not been there in over 30 years. We are both looking forward to the relo.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
You aren't going to have many choices that are a really good match for your description. Columbia isn't much of a biking/walking town but the above suggestions are your best bets. The price will be tough. Maybe Rosewood?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
There are some quadruplexes in the Five Points area that would fit the bill and Rosewood is a possibility, too. I don't know of anywhere in the Vista that you could get that inexpensively.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
What about Vista Commons?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 AM

Not had any luck yet with the 5 points area in my search. Thanks for the tip on Rosewood as well. Vista Commons is on the short list for V Day weekend viewing along with Canal Side.

What's the area off 176 and Broad River Rd like? Lots of apts in that area for a temp move until we better understand the city to make a home investment.

Yes, our criteria is proving to be a challenge But I'm still excited.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 50,628 times
How about the apartments around the Sandhills shopping? I honestly haven't even looked to see how much they run, but all the shopping and eating you would need right there below your place. What do I know though, I require two garages and a few acres of land to be happy.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by air2mud82 View Post
How about the apartments around the Sandhills shopping? I honestly haven't even looked to see how much they run, but all the shopping and eating you would need right there below your place. What do I know though, I require two garages and a few acres of land to be happy.
Only thing is they requested to be 15-20 minutes from the airport, and they are a good half-hour plus from the airport out there.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM

We actually have Keswick Apts on the schedule next weekend for a drive by since I had heard about the Village of Sandhill from one of you. Good to know about the airport commute to factor into our decision.

Also viewing Rivergate which I understand is not within walking distance of the Vista but 5 min drive and close prox to Airport. If anyone has info on the Greystone/Broad river area where they are located I welcome your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area