Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
FWIW, I think our electric bills are on the high side from some of the other places I lived in SC. I was just asking because doublewides are very inefficient. It's a metal box. I'm guessing a very affordable rent probably helps even it out.
We're looking into renting a real house.
It's weird because I grew up in a mobile home that was built in 1969, and we never froze or felt the heat in it. It was tight as a drum-no drafts, etc.
These double-wides are very cheaply made. Our bedroom doors are made of cardboard, for Pete's sake. I wouldn't give you $5 for one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
One big reason is that natural gas is not available in many areas of this mostly rural state and it is very expensive to lay that pipe once an area is developed. Propane is an option but the easiest out is to have an all electric home and not have to deal with it. That said I'm like you in that I like natural gas for heat, cooking, clothes drying, and water heating. When we bought our home 2 years ago it had gas for heat and gas logs only. That's great but the 8 months out of the year when we don't use heat we pay a nagging $10 per month "facilities charge" to have natural gas available. I figured if I was going to pay to have it available I would use it and reduce my electric usage.

I paid a plumber to install a gas hook up so we could have a gas dryer and had told him to go ahead and run a stub behind the stove and water heater so I could change them out to gas in the future. When my wife found out she asked me to reconsider the gas stove because she had fallen in love with the smooth top electric stoves due to their ease of cleaning (no more disassembling burners to remove boiled over gunk). I was surprised because she had loved our gas stoves in the past but I could see her point.

I imagine that most newer subdivisions have natural gas plumbed in so that shouldn't be a problem. Brandon will jump in here shortly and confirm that for you.

Check the SCE&G website. I recall that they will run the gas line to your house for free but you have to pay someone to connect your appliances. It cost me just under $300 to have it run through my crawl space for the dryer and water heater. It was so high because I used copper instead of flex pipe. Your mileage will vary obviously.
Distance between homes, and the long shot ROI they'd earn off of the construction costs are not worth the investment for natural gas companies. It's not that electricity is cheaper than natural gas, it's that propane is more expensive

I called to see if natural gas lines were close to my area. The line ended 1000' from my property line - right in front of Suburban Propane. Construction costs were $10 a foot when I was quoted some 4 years ago.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I have a gas water heater and gas heat, but I live in the city. Rural and suburban areas are less likely to have gas lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area