Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Location: Fort Hood, Texas, relocating to Fort Benning, GA in Spring 2011
2 posts, read 18,208 times

Advertisements

My family will be PCSing to Benning this summer where my husband will be a Drill Sergeant. His unit of course will be located on Sand Hill at Benning. We have a four children and our oldest will be starting high school this fall. With the BRAC movements from Knox, we know we will be on a long waitlist for housing on post. So we are looking at areas off post that are safe, have good schools, AND have fairly quick access to Sand Hill on post. I have heard a million stories of how we need to stay above Exit 6. Are there any areas around Columbus, like Fortson, Midland, Cusseta, etc. that have quick access on post via back gates? We do not want to live in Alabama due to the drive to Sand Hill. If he were to be working on the main post it would be different. I really need some advice and can't seem to get any help about alternate gates to post. HELP PLEASE! We hope to move in June and are house hunting now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooahwahm View Post
My family will be PCSing to Benning this summer where my husband will be a Drill Sergeant. His unit of course will be located on Sand Hill at Benning. We have a four children and our oldest will be starting high school this fall. With the BRAC movements from Knox, we know we will be on a long waitlist for housing on post. So we are looking at areas off post that are safe, have good schools, AND have fairly quick access to Sand Hill on post. I have heard a million stories of how we need to stay above Exit 6. Are there any areas around Columbus, like Fortson, Midland, Cusseta, etc. that have quick access on post via back gates? We do not want to live in Alabama due to the drive to Sand Hill. If he were to be working on the main post it would be different. I really need some advice and can't seem to get any help about alternate gates to post. HELP PLEASE! We hope to move in June and are house hunting now.

Thanks!
Midland would be a good area. Nice schools. Not sure about gate access. though.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 PM

47 posts, read 129,036 times
Default Benning Gates

Hey there!

There are three Fort Benning Gates. The one at the end of I-185 is the closest to Sand Hill. The other one off Victory Drive that goes by the National Infantry Museum is only a little farther. The farthest gate is south toward Ft Mitchell area and is a very popular residential spot with the soldiers.

There is easy access to Sand Hill from the first two gates and improved roads projects will make getting between Sand Hill and Main Post easier.

I am a civilian, but I work on post regularly.

For other information about the Columbus, Ga, the
next to Ft Benning,
please take a look at http://www.greatercolumbusga.com

The site is hundreds of pages related to events, history, arts, business and the great benefits of living close to or in the city.

As point of reference, Fortson, Ga is about 16-19 miles north of Fort Benning off I-185. Hope this helps and good luck with your move!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 PM

Location: Fort Hood, Texas, relocating to Fort Benning, GA in Spring 2011
2 posts, read 18,208 times
Thanks so much for the info. I really think we are leaning towards living off post this time around. And of course I will need to find a job myself. I appreciate your help!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooahwahm View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I really think we are leaning towards living off post this time around. And of course I will need to find a job myself. I appreciate your help!
Glad we can help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,145 times
Have you looked at the post maps?

http://www.benningmwr.com/documents/...p%20(2008).pdf

Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
Good info

Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM

47 posts, read 129,036 times
How about looking at http://www.armyfortbenning.info. Maps and lots more!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 AM

783 posts, read 1,161,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Midland would be a good area. Nice schools. Not sure about gate access. though.
I recently noticed gates now at Shatulga Road, which are pretty close to Midland. Entrances to them were closed when I was there so there might be an access problem there during certain hours of the day.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,795 times
Schatulga Road runs into Moye Road which takes you directly to Sand Hill. See map at
http://www.benningmwr.com/documentsmaps/Marcoa%20-%20Columbus.pdf (broken link)

Macon Road / Hwy 22 also gives you access to I-185 which leads you south to Benning and north to newest shopping areas. There are several nice neighborhoods on Macon Road east of I-185 between Schatulga Road and I-185. Remember the entire county is the city of Columbus while the area of Midland is another 15 minutes drive time north of I-185.

map of Columbus [URL="http://www.ask.com/maps?qsrc=167&o=10479&l=dir"]Ask.com Maps & Directions[/URL]

We hope you enjoy your stay in Columbus !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA