Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM

147 posts, read 232,406 times

Advertisements

Many of you have probably heard about the recent closing of Piccadilly Cafeteria at Peachtree Mall. Apparently, the corporate division notified the restaurant staff last Thursday that they'd be closing on Sunday. It's sad... that place has been there a long time. There really isn't anywhere else I know of in Columbus where I can sit down and enjoy such a wide variety of vegetables and extremely good fried chicken (I know there are places like Minnie's, but they close well before dinnertime). There is also something appealing about walking down their cafeteria line and selecting multiple side items. I guess I'm just venting by myself here, because the restaurant evidently wasn't popular enough to warrant being in business any longer.

I realize this is just a shot in the dark, but has anyone heard anything about another cafeteria-style restaurant opening a location here? It would be great if S&S Cafeteria (which actually opened their very first location in Columbus in the 1930's) would return to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Sad to hear this. I wonder how the one in Oglethorpe Mall here in Savannah stays open. It's tucked way back in a corner on the Belk wing with very poor outside exposure. Last time I was in there, it was empty. And there's a Golden Corral in the front mall parking lot.

My parents frequent the standalone Piccadilly in Fayetteville all the time, but even it seems to have fallen on difficult times. There are so many dining options these days.

I've got two nieces who are students at CSU. I will blame them and all their friends for not supporting Piccadilly at Peachtree Mall!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
Sadly Piccadilly is in bankrupt. The company had to close down four locations. Chattanooga,Mobile,Dothan and Columbus.

Richard Hyatt: A Southern tradition to close its doors | Richard Hyatt | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 AM

147 posts, read 232,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sad to hear this. I wonder how the one in Oglethorpe Mall here in Savannah stays open. It's tucked way back in a corner on the Belk wing with very poor outside exposure. Last time I was in there, it was empty. And there's a Golden Corral in the front mall parking lot.

My parents frequent the standalone Piccadilly in Fayetteville all the time, but even it seems to have fallen on difficult times. There are so many dining options these days.

I've got two nieces who are students at CSU. I will blame them and all their friends for not supporting Piccadilly at Peachtree Mall!
I think part of the issue is that Piccadilly just never "modernized" with the times; here in Columbus, I think it was always regarded as being "that place that old folks eat at." For me, it was a welcome change from the menu offerings at the majority of chain restaurants (I.e., side orders that are more tastier and healthier than garlic mashed potatoes, french fries, or rice pilaf... bleh).

What is unusual to note, though, is that when talking with the manager on Sunday night (their last night of business in Columbus), he actually stated that the Columbus location was one of the top 10 highest-grossing restaurants in the entire chain. Hopefully we will get another cafeteria-style restaurant to locate in Columbus soon...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 AM

196 posts, read 231,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog23 View Post
Hopefully we will get another cafeteria-style restaurant to locate in Columbus soon...
I told all the locals I met in Afghanistan they should move to Columbus, GA and open a restaurant. Maybe your wish will come true.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
I told all the locals I met in Afghanistan they should move to Columbus, GA and open a restaurant. Maybe your wish will come true.

Beef wraps are good

Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 AM

196 posts, read 231,479 times
Well, they should be coming your way once we finish paying for their new life in the US.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
Well, they should be coming your way once we finish paying for their new life in the US.

Well since we tend to help everyone around the world that shouldn't come as a surprise...

Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I've only eaten there a couple of times and it was at the one in Lake Charles, LA. I always found them to be kind of drab, outdated and expensive to eat at. Yes, the variety was good but I didn't think it was worth it and never went much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA