Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times

Advertisements

Andrea Gibby, mayor of Young Harris, hadn't been to Columbus in 20 years, so her assessment of the city's downtown renaissance carries a meaningful perspective.

"I'm so impressed with the fact that you take what you've got and you use it," Gibby said Friday after she finished rafting the 2.5-mile Chattahoochee Whitewater Park, the world's longest urban whitewater course, which opened this year after two dams were breached. "I mean, it's so incredible. You're thinking outside the box."

Gibby was among the 50 folks representing 25 cities in the state at the Georgia Municipal Association's fall gathering, which started Wednesday night. Besides meetings of the board of directors, legislative policy council and strategic planning, the group also toured area attractions such as the National Infantry Museum and Historic District of Columbus.

Officials from other Georgia cities gush about Columbus whitewater course, renaissance | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Chattahoochee River whitewater: Georgia Municipal Association group runs the rapids - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
The success of this project has been amazing for the metro. Hoping it draws some big whitewater tournaments to the city.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
How many here have done it yet?

I have.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dwayne_ View Post

I have.
Haven't yet. Have some friends coming in from New York in the spring that want to go. Waiting until then since it is starting to get cold. How was it?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dwayne_ View Post

I have.
I haven't yet. Maybe next summer.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I love this, mostly because of the easy access to entertainment afterwards.
Chattanooga has successfully marketed itself as a weekend destination for Atlantans; I don't see why Columbus can't.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Chattanooga has successfully marketed itself as a weekend destination for Atlantans; I don't see why Columbus can't.
That will happen with time.

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 10-21-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 PM

322 posts, read 603,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I love this, mostly because of the easy access to entertainment afterwards.
Due in large part because their leaders were smart enough to know that having an interstate is a good thing - having 3 is even better. They also have a major river (no they don't have whitewater downtown, but the Tennessee is no stream - major boating traffic) and they have mountains. 3 different "natural" draws. Then throw in the Tennessee Aquarium, not too bad.

As great as the National Infantry museum is, it's in Ft. Benning. As nice as the Columbus Museum is, their are projects just down the hill from it. As great as Broadway has become, there are dead zones all around. We've "bought in" to revitalizing downtown over the last 10 years or so, but more is needed, much more, and more is coming. We need leaders willing to make tough decisions - the right decisions and get things done for the betterment of Columbus as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: