Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times

Advertisements

A Wal-Mart Supercenter is coming to South Columbus. There will be an additional 21,000 sq. ft. of retail built with the development. Good to see more growth coming to the southside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times
Great news! Is this a brand new Wal-Mart or are they converting the one on Buena Vista road to a super center?

Edit.. I just saw the announcement on the other thread so that answered my question. Looks like it is a new Wal-Mart.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Great news! Is this a brand new Wal-Mart or are they converting the one on Buena Vista road to a super center?

Edit.. I just saw the announcement on the other thread so that answered my question. Looks like it is a new Wal-Mart.
Yes it's new. It will be on Victory Drive.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,855,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Yes it's new. It will be on Victory Drive.
It's on the old Baker High School lot, I've been asking questions but they were trying to keep it quote. Mayor held press confirming the plans.

Quote:
The Planning Department and Development Authority held a press conference today announcing the development of a new 150,000 square foot Wal-Mart Supercenter that will be located in South Columbus (Old Baker High School Location - Victory Drive & Benning Drive). The project will create over 300 jobs. Construction is expected to begin at the end this calendar year.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM

Next announcements I'm hopefully for are Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Bass Pro.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:52 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
This is great news.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
This is great news.
This should definitely kick start additional development in that area.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:00 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
At the announcement this morning on the site of the project, Tomlinson stressed that bringing Walmart to the site was a long-term team effort, citing Columbus Council, the Columbus Development Authority and Housing Authority, Chamber of Commerce, the Georgia Department of Transportation, South Columbus Concerned Citizens and others.

“There have been many, many hands on the wheel of this particular economic development project,” Tomlinson said. “Every single councilor, and not just this council, but councils prior have had a hand in our announcement here today.”

The Columbus Housing Authority owned the Baker High site. It received it in a land swap with the Muscogee County School District for the site down Benning Drive where the new Baker Middle School was built and across from the relatively new Arbor Pointe apartment complex, which replaced the old Baker Village.

Columbus Housing Authority CEO Len Williams said the development of Arbor Pointe was a catalyst that led to Valley Healthcare building a medical clinic nearby and the school district locating Baker Middle across the street. It also made the area more attractive for a large retailer such as Walmart, he said.

“I submit to you that none of that would have happened but for the city having the foresight to partner with us to replace Baker Village,” Williams said. “I don’t think Walmart would have located next to a 75-year-old dilapidated housing project.

“And you know what? We’re about to do the same thing at the BTW (Booker T. Washington Apartments) site and I think you’ll see the same thing happen there in the next five or six years.”

Williams said he had been involved in working with the city to bring a Walmart to south Columbus for years, since Bob Poydasheff was mayor and Carmen Cavezza was city manager. That project was aimed at the CHA nearby property where the new Baker Middle School was eventually located. That project fizzled, as did a later attempt to lure the retail giant to the area.

“At that point, I think most of us thought the project was dead. But there was one person who absolutely refused to let it die,” Williams said. “Our mayor, in fact, went out and commissioned her own market study, sent the information to Walmart, proving that this would be a good investment opportunity. Today, we’re seeing the fruits of that effort.”

A letter that Tomlinson sent to Walmart executives cites the market study, performed by Buxton Inc. and funded by the chamber and Development Authority, and lists reasons Walmart should consider the site.

Among the statistics the letter outlined were: Within a 10 minute drive of this site, there are 57,000 people, 30,000 housing units, an average household income of $40,000. Thirty-thousand cars a day pass the site, which is less than three miles from Fort Benning’s main gate.

Marlene Hunter-Lammie, Walmart regional general manager for south Georgia, echoed what other speakers said about teamwork being the key to getting the company’s investment.

“I think what you heard from the mayor is, this is truly about a team,” Hunter-Lammie said. “We’ve been investing in Columbus for over 25 years and today, because of all the support of the city and the great community has afforded us, we’re able to further this partnership. I can tell you from my 21 years at Walmart, nothing happens without a team.”

The actual Walmart building will sit on the site of the old school building, facing Victory Drive. Much of the rest of the acreage will be for parking and the other retail shops will be along the southwestern end of the property. A pawn shop that currently faces Victory Drive adjacent to the property will be moved to that end of the property also, according to Deputy City Manager David Arrington.

Currently, Levy Road bisects the property, but it will end at the development, Arrington said. There will be an entrance into the store property there and on Benning Drive, but the main entrance, which will have a traffic light, will be on Victory Drive, Arrington said.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM

183 posts, read 254,422 times
I, too, hope to see a Costco, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes!!

Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurluvr View Post
I, too, hope to see a Costco, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes!!
It will happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA