Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 AM

322 posts, read 602,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusgametro View Post
Demolition is completed on the northern section of the old btw apartment's. no word yet on when they will start demolition on the southern side of btw apartments. The southern land side of btw will be opened up too commercial use. I can not wait too see what they put here it would be nice if they could put a hotel here with some restraunts around it.
I'm interested as well, but I just don't see a hotel anywhere on this site - bare with me for a second - what's the draw? Overlooking South Commons? If Columbus gets another Hotel - and that's a big if considering how many have been built in the area and the monster built out in Ft. Benning, coupled with the reduction in troops - it'll be on the River.

There's also a median running down half the block at the hard corner of Victory & Veterans both directions - meaning from a developer's side it's hard to access to a degree. A grocery store is the best we could hope for honestly - but a CVS (etc.) would do VERY well. I know it's not sexy - but the demographics aren't going to support many of the things people want. I have a hard time seeing a large chain restaurant want that site, when in the next 5 yrs they could be near the river with something at City Mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM

124 posts, read 206,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
I'm interested as well, but I just don't see a hotel anywhere on this site - bare with me for a second - what's the draw? Overlooking South Commons? If Columbus gets another Hotel - and that's a big if considering how many have been built in the area and the monster built out in Ft. Benning, coupled with the reduction in troops - it'll be on the River.

There's also a median running down half the block at the hard corner of Victory & Veterans both directions - meaning from a developer's side it's hard to access to a degree. A grocery store is the best we could hope for honestly - but a CVS (etc.) would do VERY well. I know it's not sexy - but the demographics aren't going to support many of the things people want. I have a hard time seeing a large chain restaurant want that site, when in the next 5 yrs they could be near the river with something at City Mills.

Well if you don't think that a hotel would fit this area than what would you like too see go here. I think a hotel would be great here because people could turn onto 6th ave too get to the hotel and you also have the civic center near by. It doesn't have too be a fantasy hotel that would compete with the downtown marriott. It could be something like a hampton inn and suites or maybe a holiday inn express would be great here along with a huddle house or a waffle house. Please know more walgreens or cvs we have enough of them already. And what kind of grocery store are you referring too being built here because if it's a big box chain grocery store than your really going to have traffic issues here.

Last edited by columbusgametro; 07-18-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM

49 posts, read 53,217 times
I think a CVS is small for that lot.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 PM

124 posts, read 206,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_of-Wynnton View Post
I think a CVS is small for that lot.
yes a cvs would be too small for this lot. The southern end is actually a big tract of land it's going to seem even bigger once they start demolishing the southern end apartments which should be at the end of this year sometime I hope. The southern end is emptying fast the strip that faces victory drive are all emptied. Im excitied too see what they put here in commercial use I hope it's something good but anything is better than nothing. im just so glad too see these old apartments gone they were an eyesore to the civic center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA