Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 PM

297 posts, read 259,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
And why does Belk avoid Columbus like it has cooties or something? Seriously. As best as I can tell, Belk has never had a presence in Columbus.
I have been wondering the same thing for years at this point. I mean we are literally pretty much the only market in the Deep South (large or small) without A Belk location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:03 AM

150 posts, read 395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
I have been wondering the same thing for years at this point. I mean we are literally pretty much the only market in the Deep South (large or small) without A Belk location.
It hasn't been that Belk avoided us. They had no space to fill. You have to remember that Dillard's bought the old Parisian space back when it closed. The mall would have been the best spot to fill but their was no spot to fill there. When Dillard's finally did decide to let go of it, it obviously had to be a non compete tenant and At Home filled that void. The only other logical space would have been CPC but BJ's jumped on the old Sears building so quickly that Belk's didn't have a chance yet. Give it time and you will see it. Perhaps in Midland Commons.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 AM

297 posts, read 259,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post
It hasn't been that Belk avoided us. They had no space to fill. You have to remember that Dillard's bought the old Parisian space back when it closed. The mall would have been the best spot to fill but their was no spot to fill there. When Dillard's finally did decide to let go of it, it obviously had to be a non compete tenant and At Home filled that void. The only other logical space would have been CPC but BJ's jumped on the old Sears building so quickly that Belk's didn't have a chance yet. Give it time and you will see it. Perhaps in Midland Commons.
I completely agree that those factors are true as far as the Dillard’s and Sears locations, but I also believe that Belk would have been here if they were truly interested in entering the market. I am a Belk shopper so I enjoy stopping in relatively often as I travel around the South. In Georgia specifically (Metro Atlanta Locations, Macon, Albany, Warner Robins, Tifton, Lagrange, Americus, Thomaston, Thomasville, Bainbridge, Savannah, Augusta, Dublin, Valdosta, Waycross, Milledgeville, Statesboro to name most not all). Of course we will have to continue to wait and see what happens as we have been, but as it stands we are pretty much the only southern market large or small without one and I am not aware that they have expressed interest as I have been anticipating for years. To your point, we will see what happens with Midland Commons.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 PM

967 posts, read 1,071,950 times
Businesses also want to be in a great location, with high traffic count, good visibility and around other retail that will likely bring shoppers in their doors. There is only some much of those available locations. I'm hoping the new vacancies at CPC, along with Midland Commons can bring in some good retail that has been wanting to enter our market. I'm hoping some of the other retail expansions that developers seem to have forgotten about will hurry up and happen too! I think some businesses are willing to wait years if they have to to be in a good location.

On the other hand with Belk they did have a good chance when CPC was built so I wonder why they did not make a move then. They could locate to where TRU or HH Greg were. I'm not sure how big the sq footage of Belk is compared to those locations so it might take some remodeling and adding a 2nd floor.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:19 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Businesses also want to be in a great location, with high traffic count, good visibility and around other retail that will likely bring shoppers in their doors. There is only some much of those available locations. I'm hoping the new vacancies at CPC, along with Midland Commons can bring in some good retail that has been wanting to enter our market. I'm hoping some of the other retail expansions that developers seem to have forgotten about will hurry up and happen too! I think some businesses are willing to wait years if they have to to be in a good location.

On the other hand with Belk they did have a good chance when CPC was built so I wonder why they did not make a move then. They could locate to where TRU or HH Greg were. I'm not sure how big the sq footage of Belk is compared to those locations so it might take some remodeling and adding a 2nd floor.
I think it's common for a midsize city to not have every mid to low end store. For example Macon doesn't have a J C Penny's and Mobile doesn't have a Macy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA