Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a Teaching Artist. I currently live in Auburn, Alabama. I'm sort of an odd duck because most people around here are sports fans.

I've been thinking of moving to Columbus. I was wondering where some good places would be to rent. I don't have a car, so being able to use public transportation and my tyke would be a must.

There is not much of an art market here. Do people buy local art there? I also teach art lessons. I was wondering if I could get more clients there.

It's also really hard being single here. I have heard there are more people my age and lots of culturial things to get involved in. That's really what I am looking for.

What is the cost of living like? I'm trying to do some research and save some money up so that hopefully next summer I can move. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,110,408 times
unless you're in Atlanta, Savannah, or maybe Athens, I'm not sure you're going to find the environment you're looking for in the rest of GA. You're certainly not going to find a crowd too big on that in Columbus. Columbus is a 90+ percent Military or Family Oriented geared place best suited for middle aged people with families, with little interest other than going to work, going home, and going to their kids little league games in their spare time.

As for what you're looking for, I'm not seeing how Col. would offer alot more than AUB.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,254,934 times
There's art in Columbus and some art lovers. At the same time no there isn't a large market. You'll still need a day job. Living in Columbus without a car in the summer time is hell on earth. I've done it and I would never voluntarily do it again.

To say that Columbus is nothing but military people and families is an exagaration. Yes it is an army town but it's not all army. My father who was never in my life coincidentally was in the military but his family is from Columbus and so is my mom's. Some are just from Columbus.

A young person can have fun in Columbus but don't have expectations that it'll be like Atlanta. There's Broadway which I personally liked on a Friday night, plenty of bars and people on the street. I have a musician friend who is slowly but surely making somewhat of a living with music.

So again there's a market but I wouldn't expect any improvement over Auburn. Really and truly a bigger city would be the spot. Savannah possibly but with the arts college there the competition I imagine would be fierce. Athens would be a lateral move just like Auburn. So head to Atlanta or consider doing art part time would be my advice.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 12,400 times
Stay in Auburn unless you have a good day job in Columbus. AU is biker friendly... I lived in Columbus for 23 years and went to AU for college. AU is a college town and Columbus isn't. Columbus State University has a decent art department. Downtown Columbus is getting better and better. If you don't have transportation, downtown is your best bet... but AU is still my top choice. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,986,596 times
If you are looking for a good arts market, Savannah is the place to go.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 PM

16 posts, read 54,158 times
In Georgia, I would say Savannah even though it is far from Auburn. Maybe in 10 years Columbus will have more interest in Art, right now the art scene there seems to just be starting to catch some traction and it is mostly based around CSU.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM

197 posts, read 206,164 times
The dating scene is honestly much better in Auburn than in Columbus. In Columbus, the dating scene is really rough because there aren't very many educated millennials and because people here have kids really young.

Anyone whose interested in art wouldn't really want to live here and only people in poverty use public transportation here.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,912,694 times
I think most of the previous comments have not given Columbus enough credit. Although Savannah is a nice place, it wouldn't be all that different from Columbus. Columbus has a lot more opportunity than Auburn offers. Atlanta would be a real hassle! UpTown Columbus would be a great place for you to live, but I'd also check out the lofts on the edge of downtown, as well as the Lake Bottom area, renting near a bus stop. In addition, Columbus has a neat, and busy, weekend market that sells produce and all sorts of nice things, including art. I suggest that you check out the "Many Things to Do in Columbus" thread elsewhere in this Columbus forum. You might also spend a couple of long weekends here during the summer to get a feel for things. Visit our fine museums. I think you'd like it here.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:16 PM

197 posts, read 206,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I think most of the previous comments have not given Columbus enough credit. Although Savannah is a nice place, it wouldn't be all that different from Columbus. Columbus has a lot more opportunity than Auburn offers. Atlanta would be a real hassle! UpTown Columbus would be a great place for you to live, but I'd also check out the lofts on the edge of downtown, as well as the Lake Bottom area, renting near a bus stop. In addition, Columbus has a neat, and busy, weekend market that sells produce and all sorts of nice things, including art. I suggest that you check out the "Many Things to Do in Columbus" thread elsewhere in this Columbus forum. You might also spend a couple of long weekends here during the summer to get a feel for things. Visit our fine museums. I think you'd like it here.
Columbus is pretty much Savannah without the historic district and River Street, without the beach, without the fun nightlife, and without SCAD. I'd recommend Atlanta.

Last edited by lethalhipster9; 04-16-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 06:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 886,016 times
In spite of this nearly decade old thread being revived by a useless troll, it's kind of appropriate for what I wanted to share; we just got back home from Music Under the Dome, a concert by Schwob students at the CC Space center and it was awesome.

It is part of Artbeat, a month long celebration of Columbus' art scene, if any of y'all haven't gone to any of the various events there's still a few days left to catch something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA