Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:00 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times

Advertisements

Many Columbus residents are left confused, upset, and without a job this weekend after the unexpected closure of a large local plant.

Exide Technologies, located on Joy Rd. in Columbus, sent a letter to all employees on Saturday explaining that they were closing down the plant and laying off all employees, effective on Monday.

According to the letter, Exide says the closure is due to “changes in market demand” as well as “structural inefficiencies.”

Employees expressed frustration over both the lack of notice and the manner by which they were notified.

The company, which primarily manufactures batteries, also states that they chose to disseminate the information in a letter rather than in a meeting after “threats of violence” brought into question the “safety of the employees.”

Employees say they are also confused after the company would not allow anyone to return to the facility even to return company equipment or retrieve personal items.

Excide states employee’s pay and benefits will continue for the next 60 days, but that all active employment has been terminated.

The company says they will keep a small number of employees on for a little while longer during the transition, but that it will be completely shut down by the end of this month.

Exide Technologies in Columbus unexpectedly closes leaving employees upset, confused

Our Chambers of Commerce has to be second to Albany's. Factories leaving the area with NO explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:36 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
How many employees did they have?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Around 200 employees. It's pretty stupid for the article to not include that.

I'm sensitive to those who are losing their jobs, but I'm not sad to see this place closing. They've been releasing way too much lead into the air for decades and regularly get fined by federal or state agencies. There are other battery plants in Columbus which do not have the compliance issues Exide has.

The manner in which the company notified its employees is pretty pansy too.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times
Yeah, I agree Jayhey- this company has some real ethical issues sending letters with no notice. They're only redeeming value is the 60 day pay/benefits. I hope the employees can find gainful employment elsewhere quickly.

I really wish the GA DEA would investigate the site and fine them into bankruptcy!

Old 03-02-2019, 05:40 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
In the meantime, where is our new mayor and what is he doing to move Columbus forward?? There is an awful amount of silence coming from the mayor's office, and from city leaders, in general. That includes our airport authority and Chamber of Commerce!! Columbus seems to be losing more industry lately than it's gaining!

Old 03-02-2019, 06:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
The CoC is basically useless here. They do absolutely nothing to promote our city for outside investment. Why they exist is beyond me. I think the entire CoC should be fired and new blood brought in.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
In the meantime, where is our new mayor and what is he doing to move Columbus forward?? There is an awful amount of silence coming from the mayor's office, and from city leaders, in general. That includes our airport authority and Chamber of Commerce!! Columbus seems to be losing more industry lately than it's gaining!
Quote:
where is our new mayor and what is he doing to move Columbus forward?? There is an awful amount of silence coming from the mayor's office, and from city leaders, in general.
He's somewhere having dinner with the city manager,bragging about the amount of road projects going on, while making plans for the next sales tax to build a new Government Center.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
The CoC is basically useless here. They do absolutely nothing to promote our city for outside investment. Why they exist is beyond me. I think the entire CoC should be fired and new blood brought in.
I wonder how that columbus 2025 campaign going?

Old 03-02-2019, 07:08 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Hopefully the Sports Council is still actively working to bring Womens' Olympic Softball back here!!!!

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times
What is being done to attract new companies and higher paying jobs to our area? I think they need to do something drastic to bring in some new companies t out area, especially higher paying ones. Sitting around and waiting for a startup to become a big company in 20 or 30 years isn't going to cut it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA