Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times

Advertisements

Augusta, Columbus, and Macon are some of the biggest cities in Georgia with pretty large metro areas, so why hasnt there been some sort of large interstate or freeway that connects them all built?

The drives from Macon to Columbus or Macon to Augusta are about as BACKWOODS as it gets. It just seems to me like there would be a bigger freeway connecting these cities.

Also, why does Columbus have such limited interstate access being the size that it is? Why would they have I-85 cutting across about, what, 30-40 miles north of the city....and why wouldn't I-I6 have connected Columbus to Macon to Savannah, instead of just the latter two? Was Columbus not as big/populated or considered as important as it is today back when these roads were built??

Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Keep your fingers crossed. If you Google Interstate 14 you'll find a ton of articles about this.

Interstate 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there has been talk since 2006 of extending I-185 to I-10 at Monticello, FL or even on to Panama City. Again, try Googling.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,970,338 times
I wish they would hurry up and make some kind of announcement about I-14 and even I-3. I drive from Savannah to Alabama quite often and would love to have complete interstate access. It'd save that much more time!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

And there has been talk since 2006 of extending I-185 to I-10 at Monticello, FL or even on to Panama City. Again, try Googling.
That one isn't happening any time soon.

Its facing resistance from county governments along the proposed route.

I traveled recently to columbus; going through thomasville, its a 4-lane highway all the way there. And its 4 lanes from t-ville to tallahassee, so i'm not sure why they would even need to extend the interstate down.

seems like a waste of money really.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,970,338 times
I recently took the highway from Thomasville to Tallahassee. With all the other corridors in Georgia, this one could be put off for a while. However, an interstate could be useful in the long run to bypass traffic & lights around towns and a road to travel at a higher rate of speed than 55-65.

For the short term, 319 from Thomasville to the GA/FL line could use a re-pave.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
I-14 & I-3 if named that. Will both happen sooner or later. A large percentage of Atlanta highway traffic is only driving through to get to another destination. A Cobb county elected official was in Augusta the other day. Talking about how Atlanta needs another interstate to be built in GA. To ease the traffic in Metro Atlanta. I-14 will connect three cities. But I-3 should be built first. I-3 would automatically pass I-85 and I-20 in the numbers of drivers daily. I-3 will be the third most traveled interstate in GA. Behind I-75 and I-95 which it could pass in the future.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,830 times
There has been a lot of talk about extending I-185 down to Florida. Makes a ton of sense in my opinion. Especially if it went straight down to Tallahassee. I hope I-14 happens too.

Here are some proposals: If this were to happen Columbus would become a major economic hub of the entire Southeast. Would be amazing if it happened but who knows?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
There has been a lot of talk about extending I-185 down to Florida. Makes a ton of sense in my opinion. Especially if it went straight down to Tallahassee. I hope I-14 happens too.

I disagree. Its 4-lanes all the way already, and there is always minimal traffic on the highway. The towns you pass through on the way are very small, so you're looking at one, maybe two, traffic lights to stop at. The speed limit is 65mph most of the way, and the top interstate speed limit (that i've seen) is 70mph; I don't think you can make an argument that it will get you from columbus to tallahassee faster (not substantially).

Albany has a limited-access bypass around the city, and thomasville has a bypass around it in every direction.

An interstate from columbus through macon, and on to augusta makes better sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post

Here are some proposals: If this were to happen Columbus would become a major economic hub of the entire Southeast. Would be amazing if it happened but who knows?
Hard to say, really. I'm not an expert on the matter. But how would columbus benefit from a non-stop highway to tallahassee?

You would have to think there is minimal traffic from tallahassee to atlanta, so I don't see it as a major benefit for them; at least not one that is worth the cost.

My friends in TLH that have business interests in ATL fly anyway. Heck, delta's daily flights from valdosta to ATL are usually filled near capacity, and we have a direct route up 75.

I think our area is disconnected from metro ATL anyway; we don't need the direct access. I only travel to ATL for business, and the occasional friend/family visit.

tallahassee, thomasville, and valdosta are an independent economic area. and jacksonville is our major city hub.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times
I thought I heard another route from Savannah to Augusta to Athens...

Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times
Is there a nice highway connecting Savannah and Augusta???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA