Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM

77 posts, read 440,787 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'm 24- Considering Ohio. So far have only looked at Columbus.

What are the Pro's/Con's of living there in Ohio? I am going to look at Cleveland too, so if you can also list that (thank you.)

What do you Like or Love about the place?
What do you dis-like or Hate about the place?

And overall, do you like it there?

I am from Los Angeles area California. And the Primary reason I am looking for property out there is cause.. Well I guess California is on that Falt line.

I sincerely ask you to please take a moment, & write me back.
And if you can think of any other nice areas, that aren't in the middle of nowhere- that don't have Tornadoes, Floods etc.. (Natural Disasters.)

Please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited by christianguitarist27; 02-01-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 86,912 times
Columbus is the capital city of OH, so by default there are advantages with jobs/economy, vs. Cleveland or Cincy.
I love the beach--which can't be found in Cbus and is the biggest downside in my mind! Decent mountains to ski are 4-5 hours away or a plane ticket... I love the different seasons, friendly people, arts, small theaters, diversity, education, etc... I've traveled throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, and S.America, and have never found a place I'd rather call home... AND, this is being typed during a major ice/snow storm hitting our area! I can say with confidence, our government will have us moving in a matter of hours--no worries...
So, natural disasters, yes we have them. Has any event ever taken down an entire city? yes, the tornado in Xenia in the early 70's. Cbus area--I can't think of anything super-bad, but i guess "super-bad" is a relative term...
Compared to LA... our cost of living is extremely cheap! If you're considering Cbus, come for visit and see what you think for yourself. If you have $200-$300 to spend on a place, that would get you a nice place, well above average for our general area. One of our local papers, the Columbus Dispatch, publishes great articles on our market. If you decide to come into town, let me know, I'd be happy to talk with you about areas you would find interesting.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 9,781 times
Columbus, to me, (as a vegan-home-town girl living a few hours from Columbus) is my haven. Since a little girl, I have loved going down to Columbus and seeing everything it has to offer. The air is clean, the people are friendly and there's always something to do. Whether it's traveling 15 minutes down the road to Delaware to shop for hours at amazing malls, walking down the Short North or German Village, people-watching before OSU games (that-well let's just say it is so much fun, I've never seen so many hot, single guys!! or going two miles from campus to pick up a nice vegan treat at Pattycake.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM

256 posts, read 736,681 times
I am native Ohioan. Have been living in So. Cal for many years. First and foremost, when people say it is cheaper to live in Ohio than CA, they have not lived in CA. Ohio has higher taxes, food is more expensive, I find services more expensive and utilities are more expensive. Housing is more expensive in CA. However, once you own your own home in CA, living here is less expensive.
That being said, Ohio is totally underrated and has so much to offer people of all ages. It is has beautiful green countrysides, one of the great lakes, four seasons, culture and in my opinion, genuine people that will be life long friends. The only thing wrong with Ohio is its undeserved reputation.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
I am native Ohioan. Have been living in So. Cal for many years. First and foremost, when people say it is cheaper to live in Ohio than CA, they have not lived in CA. Ohio has higher taxes, food is more expensive, I find services more expensive and utilities are more expensive. Housing is more expensive in CA. However, once you own your own home in CA, living here is less expensive.
That being said, Ohio is totally underrated and has so much to offer people of all ages. It is has beautiful green countrysides, one of the great lakes, four seasons, culture and in my opinion, genuine people that will be life long friends. The only thing wrong with Ohio is its undeserved reputation.
Sorry, but the cost of living in California is significantly higher than in Ohio in every city by city comparison. Let's say that you make $50,000 a year in Ohio.

Columbus vs California cities and how much more you would need to make to maintain the same standard of living in California:

VS LA: 48.1% more
VS San Francisco: 78.2% more
VS Sacramento: 26.2% more
VS San Diego: 43.7% more
VS San Jose: 69.7% more

Cleveland vs California

VS LA: 34.9% more
VS San Francisco: 62.2% more
VS Sacramento: 14.9% more
VS San Diego: 30.8% more
VS San Jose: 54.5% more

Cincinnati vs California

VS LA: 45.3% more
VS San Francisco: 74.7% more
VS Sacramento: 23.8% more
VS San Diego: 40.9% more
VS San Jose: 66.4% more

Dayton vs California

VS LA: 49.1% more
VS San Francisco: 79.3% more
VS Sacramento: 27% more
VS San Diego: 44.6% more
VS San Jose: 70.8% more

There is just no comparison. Breaking it down to specifics, almost every single catergory, from food to housing to medical to insurance is higher in California.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:59 AM

145 posts, read 193,796 times
As a brand new Ohioan...

Pros:
Economy with more upside potential than downside (hopefully)
Strong/robust people due to weather conditioning (weak have mostly fled to NC leaving the remaining gene pool strong)
Cultural diversity - big city living to Amish country
Professional sports team's diversity - range from average to terrible
Good schools if you look
Infinite supply of fresh water
Beautiful summers
Fall leaves
Great people
Low skin cancer rates

Cons:
Damaged pride
People can be overly pessimistic
Political environment not healthy as should be

Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM

41 posts, read 92,198 times
I have lived in Virginia, Ohio, and Florida. I currently live in Columbus, but am moving to Tampa, FL in a couple of weeks. I personally like Florida the best, which is why we are moving back, but each place has its pros and cons. The weather is by far the worst overall in Ohio in my opinion(but it depends what you like). The summers are somewhat mild and beautiful, but throughout the rest of the year, you see a lot of grey and no sun...epecially the winters. It seems like there is a stretch of 3-4 months in the winter that you may see the sun come out maybe 10 days. And be prepared to become an Ohio State Buckeye fan!!...you will have no chance lol!....it's an obsession around here! Although I did stay true to my Virginia Tech Hokies!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtodeath View Post
Low skin cancer rates
That's because you hardly ever see the sun!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM

145 posts, read 193,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
That's because you hardly ever see the sun!
Same from where I moved from. Sunshine is overrated.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britifftay View Post
I have lived in Virginia, Ohio, and Florida. I currently live in Columbus, but am moving to Tampa, FL in a couple of weeks. I personally like Florida the best, which is why we are moving back, but each place has its pros and cons. The weather is by far the worst overall in Ohio in my opinion(but it depends what you like). The summers are somewhat mild and beautiful, but throughout the rest of the year, you see a lot of grey and no sun...epecially the winters. It seems like there is a stretch of 3-4 months in the winter that you may see the sun come out maybe 10 days. And be prepared to become an Ohio State Buckeye fan!!...you will have no chance lol!....it's an obsession around here! Although I did stay true to my Virginia Tech Hokies!
I think it's all about individual preferences. Personally, I would hate to live in Florida. Way too hot for way too long, and just like living anywhere else, the amenities it does have would get boring after awhile (going to the beach, etc). There is a place for everyone though, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus