Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Have heard recently that Sears may be looking to move from Chicago due to increases in taxes there. This morning there was an article in the Dispatch about how officials from Sears had recently visited the city to scope out sites. They have also visited Austin.

Pros for Columbus:
1. The Sears CEO recently bought a majority stake in Columbus-based Big Lots, which gives an incentive to move here and be close to other retail investments.
2. Columbus is a very strong retail market and has a history of allowing retail corporations to grow.
3. Young population and high rate of business grads.
4. Growing population and much lower unemployment rates than the Chicago area.

Cons for Columbus:
1. Would probably not be able to match incentives packages that Chicago can offer.
2. Ohio is not really a hot-spot to attract new corporations.

That's all I can think of at the moment, though others may have other ideas.

Personally, I can't really see this move as likely. A recent trend with big corporations is to threaten to move out of city/state in order to receive larger incentives and tax breaks. This is exactly what Bob Evans did here in Columbus and what Chiquita is doing in Cincinnati right now. I think the most likely scenario is that Sears gets what it wants and stays right were it is.

Either way, the announcement on whether to move or stay is supposed to come by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Sears used to have an outlet store in Columbus.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Yeah, they did. Another thing to note is that the company overall is not really that healthy, so even if they do move, it may be for nothing in the end.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, they did. Another thing to note is that the company overall is not really that healthy, so even if they do move, it may be for nothing in the end.
I say no to this company. Ohio already has plenty of retail based headquarters, and they are doing fine. There is no point in bringing in a dying brand, and then when they have found themselves new headquarters in Columbus or wherever in Ohio, all of our other fortune 500 companies are going to expect some huge tax breaks like they plan on giving Sears.

Stay in Illinois, or go to Texas... just don't come to Ohio.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I say no to this company. Ohio already has plenty of retail based headquarters, and they are doing fine. There is no point in bringing in a dying brand, and then when they have found themselves new headquarters in Columbus or wherever in Ohio, all of our other fortune 500 companies are going to expect some huge tax breaks like they plan on giving Sears.

Did you have a problem when Sears had the big outlet/distribution center in Columbus?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post

I'm way more on the fence than you seem to be on this. Sears is not the brand it used to be and is not as healthy as a company as it has been in the past. At the same time, I wouldn't necessarily say it's dying. Apparently all of the people vying for it to move (or stay) don't believe so either. So while this may not hold the same weight as say, a Microsoft or some other major, healthy corporation moving here, I also think it would be foolish not to try to get them. Any major corportation moving in raises our profile to some extent.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM

111 posts, read 346,590 times
Quote:
They still do, at least two in fact. One is in Linden on the corner of Innis and Cleveland and the other is near I-70 in Reynoldsburg.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:50 PM

I will say though, that if they do move, I hope they don't just put another sprawling complex out in the suburbs like so many others have.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Did you have a problem when Sears had the big outlet/distribution center in Columbus?
Let's see, distribution center vs. fortune 500 global headquaters looking for tax incentives. I believe I made my point in my first post.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm way more on the fence than you seem to be on this. Sears is not the brand it used to be and is not as healthy as a company as it has been in the past. At the same time, I wouldn't necessarily say it's dying. Apparently all of the people vying for it to move (or stay) don't believe so either. So while this may not hold the same weight as say, a Microsoft or some other major, healthy corporation moving here, I also think it would be foolish not to try to get them. Any major corportation moving in raises our profile to some extent.
Hey, if they come, they come. Columbus is one hell of a good location for a company like Sears to look into. You look at all the retail based companies already there, and it would be a no-brainer. I just don't want Sears to come in with these new breaks, and now Macy's, Limited Brands, etc now want the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus