Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM

201 posts, read 829,029 times

Advertisements

Our realtor didn't seem to know exactly how the tax system worked. Its my understanding, that every 3 years they reassess (increase) taxes, and every 6 years they do a more detailed analysis? Is it also true upgrades done to the home are not factored in? Lastly, what is the easiest way to calculate an estimated tax based on price, 2%? I know the county website used to provide this, but thats been shut down for a few weeks while they redo their rates...thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:36 PM

198 posts, read 524,806 times
It's every 6 years by state law they reassess. They don't do it more often because it costs a lot of money to do. You can have your house done every year if you want but you have to initate it.

Upgrades done to the inside of your home are not factored in unless you got a permit for it. Like if you put in a new water heater, you would need a permit from the city for it thus it gets factored in.

You already said this yourself but the auditor website *had* a tax estimator up but they took it down briefly until the new home values are finalized. I'm thinking they took it down so people couldn't use it to find out their new tax amount and then find out it's off by a little since taxes are also based on how much your neighbors values go up and down as well. They didn't want phone calls from angry people saying "the estimator said this and you're charging this that and I want an explaination now" kind of stuff.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM

212 posts, read 686,991 times
call the franklin county auditor. the best reply is straight from the source.

but the fact that the realtor doesn't know how it works, makes me think they need to go back and cover that in their training.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM

21 posts, read 92,555 times
The sad thing I just found out after getting my reappraisal back showing my home decreased in value by 30k was that I will not be getting much of the tax break. Below is the answer from their website:
Q. My value went down but my tax bill was lowered only marginally. Why?

The purpose of a general reappraisal or triennial update is to assure that each tax payer is paying only their fair share of the tax burden, no more and no less. As a result of a general reappraisal or a triennial update, tax rates are adjusted to collect the same amount of revenue as was collected the year before on all voted millage. Additional revenue may only be raised with the approval of the voters. The only part of the tax rate which is allowed to rise or fall with value is referred to as inside millage and amounts to no more than 10 mills, thus the marginal tax adjustment.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 AM

New tax rates are up on the Franklin county website.

My taxes dropped $600. Woohoo! I'm still going to pay the same amount every month but now that's $600 more that goes directly to pay down my mortgage.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM

201 posts, read 829,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
New tax rates are up on the Franklin county website.

My taxes dropped $600. Woohoo! I'm still going to pay the same amount every month but now that's $600 more that goes directly to pay down my mortgage.
weird, a house we're under contract for went up $300

Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 49,159 times
This is how I look at it to simplify it: in Columbus it is 1.5% of 1000 which means you would pay $1500 for $100,000.00 valued home. In Other areas like Dublin, Westerville, Worthington, .. school districts you can average 2.0-2.5% which in comparison to other states is very high (of course exclude CA, NY, MA, ..etc)

Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 194,607 times
Taxes in Gahana, Franklin County is $2640 per $100,000.

School district plays a huge part. Franklin County taxes the crap out of you, if your moving to town, move in to a county next door. Delaware being the closest.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklesla View Post
Taxes in Gahana, Franklin County is $2640 per $100,000.

School district plays a huge part. Franklin County taxes the crap out of you, if your moving to town, move in to a county next door. Delaware being the closest.
Or just live in the right part of Franklin county and capitalize on the zoning mistakes.

Here's a home on Brenthurst Dr
Sale amount in 2013: $215,000

$4623.04 in taxes
Tax District: Columbus Plain L.S.D
School District: New Albany
County: Franklin

Not bad for sending your kids in New Albany schools. I'm assuming taxes are cheaper than living in New Albany?

Delaware/Sunbury exit seems like a joke to me. What's there to do there exactly other than have an hour commute to work in a Columbus suburb due to 71 traffic? Every time I drive by that exit ramp, the traffic is backed up onto 71. Whatever they are saving in taxes, they are spending on gas for their commute.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM

For a $100,000 home in the city limits of Columbus it's right around $2100.

I get to save on taxes since they just sent me the 2014 triennial update on my house value. I'm paying $100 less on taxes next year because my house lost 5% of it's value. I have no plans on moving so this is good for me! Bad for all the levy's.

Thanks Franklin County for saving me even more money! $600 two years ago and $100 extra next year! By the time I do plan on moving, odds are the value will go back up and I'll sell it for more than I paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus