Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 PM

51 posts, read 180,365 times

Advertisements

I'd say New Albany would be a good choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
Quote:
Grandview Heights and Upper Arlington are next door to each other, both are very safe (with Arlington being safer of the two), and both have a GREAT stock of older apartments. Older as in wood floors, moldings, big rooms, etc. Older as in character. Many of the older brick townhouses in Grandview, Arlington and Clintonville have single car garages behind them and w/d hookups. Here's a typical Grandview apt.

1695 Northwest

The retail and restaurant mix in Grandview and Upper Arlington is probably the best in town. Not overblown with crowded malls and strip centers, but good, small and generally trendy and affluent.
I really second the motion for Grandview! There is a lot of apartments in an area of Columbus that is next to Grandview and it is very nice and in walking distance to the Grandview retail strip and near downtown, Ohio State, and other nice urban neighborhoods of Columbus like the Short North, Victorian Village, and Italian Village.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say New Albany would be a good choice for you.
Um no.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 58,174 times
Default Safer places near Columbus to check into

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsoffunsy View Post
I have tried Best Places dot net and I dont think their stats are very accurate a lot of times. We are looking for a nice place around Columbus that is SAFE and not rowdy. We dont want to live by the college. We are looking for more of a small town feel but close to shopping and such. I have been reading about some apartments in DUBLIN (which seemed like such a cute area) but people were talking about how their cars were getting broken into and such.
I realize there is crime everywhere, but if I can not put ourselves into an area like that if I dont have to, that would be great.
Any advice. I have looked at some of the areas around Columbus, but not finding much need some locals advice.
Also looking for some nice areas to rent in and wondering what the cost of a nice two bedroom would be and wonder if water/garbage is something that is paid for usually by the landlord or by the renter. Where I am (florida) it is paid by the renter and I am just not used to that. Makes for extremely high rent (an extra 90/month!!)
Thanks all in advance!
If you are looking for a nice, friendly neighborhood near Columbus, may I suggest Ashville. It is approximately 12 miles south of Columbus. This village is a growing community. Most people that live here commute to Columbus. We were a predominantly farming community, but our "horizons" have broadened. The median age here is approximately 35. The schools are growing, and to accommodate the growth, we are building 2 new Middle Schools, Teays Valley Middle School East, and Teays Valley Middle School West. Our High School has been refurbished, and is currently having new additions made to it as well. All of our Elementary Schools have been built within the past few years. The names of these schools are Ashville Elementary, Walnut Elementary, and Scioto Elementary. We also have a new elementary school being built in South Bloomfield that is scheduled to open in 2010. All of these schools have excellent programs for the students. We also have many different sports available for the children. I have lived in Ashville for the majority of my life. (I moved from Columbus when I was in 4th grade in 1979). My husband and I moved back to Columbus after graduation, for about 2 years, but missed the "country" and returned home. I am not saying that Ashville is the greatest town in the world. But I can say that you can let your children play outside and you don't have to worry (as much) about horrible things happening to them. For the most part Ashville is a nice friendly community based in country roots. The commute is predominately freeway, and on the average weekday you can get to Downtown Columbus within 30 minutes without too many problems. Maybe I am biased, but if I felt the least bit unsafe, I would move. If anyone would like to know more about Ashville, I can tell you what I know, or try to find the answers you need.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM

54 posts, read 264,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus20 View Post
If you are looking for a nice, friendly neighborhood near Columbus, may I suggest Ashville. It is approximately 12 miles south of Columbus. This village is a growing community. Most people that live here commute to Columbus. We were a predominantly farming community, but our "horizons" have broadened. The median age here is approximately 35. The schools are growing, and to accommodate the growth, we are building 2 new Middle Schools, Teays Valley Middle School East, and Teays Valley Middle School West. Our High School has been refurbished, and is currently having new additions made to it as well. All of our Elementary Schools have been built within the past few years. The names of these schools are Ashville Elementary, Walnut Elementary, and Scioto Elementary. We also have a new elementary school being built in South Bloomfield that is scheduled to open in 2010. All of these schools have excellent programs for the students. We also have many different sports available for the children. I have lived in Ashville for the majority of my life. (I moved from Columbus when I was in 4th grade in 1979). My husband and I moved back to Columbus after graduation, for about 2 years, but missed the "country" and returned home. I am not saying that Ashville is the greatest town in the world. But I can say that you can let your children play outside and you don't have to worry (as much) about horrible things happening to them. For the most part Ashville is a nice friendly community based in country roots. The commute is predominately freeway, and on the average weekday you can get to Downtown Columbus within 30 minutes without too many problems. Maybe I am biased, but if I felt the least bit unsafe, I would move. If anyone would like to know more about Ashville, I can tell you what I know, or try to find the answers you need.
The only problem with Asheville is you are right next to that crap-hole of a speed trap called South Bloomfield. (no I've never received a ticket there)35 mph 3 traffic lights on a major north-south artery.. WTF??? Dire need of a by-pass.
US 23 is not a freeway so most of the commute from Asheville to Cbus is hitting traffic lights until you get to 270 or having people pull out in front of you from a dead stop, while you're running 60mph, from the hundreds of township/state and even driveways that feed directly onto US 23.

HOWEVER, Asheville is a great community and as smcmanus20 said would be a great place to raise kids. That can not be argued.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
Dublin is a mixed bag. Downtown Dublin (the old town of Dublin) is really nice, and some of the most upscale housing developments in town are in Dublin Schools.

I think the key is to avoid the large apartment complexes anywhere in Columbus. Many of those complexes might appear newish or 10-20 years old, but many are also run down "suburbaghetto" and if you don't have sketchy neighbors you'll find yourself in a complex full of college kids. If the large complexes are in Columbus Public Schools then definitely be skeptical of your surroundings. Many of the endless strip mall miles in suburban Columbus were annexed by the City of Columbus and many of those large suburbaghetto complexes are part of the inner city Columbus district.
This is very true. I signed a lease to live an apartment complex here because it was semi-affordable and looked nice. Our very odd (and I use odd as a polite word for something you can't post on a forum) neighbors keep us up at night and there's a ton of DUI's from the younger college students in the area.

Honestly, I've always liked Clintonville and Grandview as my two favorite neighborhoods in Columbus.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 60,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingMobile View Post
So you consider $90 per month for water/sewer/trash to be excessive? That's pretty reasonable for a household in many midwestern cities.
Not in Delaware state, that is outrageously expensive

Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM

119 posts, read 273,415 times
Def. try some of the apartments in New Albany. They are great little communities, and are very safe. Dublin is safe, as well - I would just visit first to make sure that you are in a "nice" part of town.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
what the heck is going on with people answering threads that are two years old?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 14,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
what the heck is going on with people answering threads that are two years old?
Haha I'd say maybe they're taking the "search before you post" suggestion a bit too literally.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM

12 posts, read 35,605 times
ok I live in westerville 2brd twnhouse w/finshed basement $600. I pay my water/sewage and trash removal about $45 every 3 months. Good school district for the kids, I feel safe, and I'm near shopping, movies and a couple restruarant and recreation center for the family.
Now their are better areas with better school districts in my book dublin, hilliard, "upper arlington is nice good school system, but not very cultural diverse just a little uppity and snobby people in that area, If your not white rethink this area now not to judge a book by a handful of idoits but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus