Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM

259 posts, read 428,292 times

Advertisements

One more thing: You should start adding everyone you meet to your facebook page. THen, make a point of commenting occasionally on things they post. This will remind them who you are and give you a chance to interact with them in between opportunities to see them in person.

Keep your eyes open for the "connectors"--the people who know LOTS of people and are very social extroverts. If you can buddy up to one of those people, it is much easier to ease your way into a lot of social activities. People who love to socialize generally seem happy to add new people to activities they are doing. (Unlike introverts like me who really like a very small circle of good friends and hate being forced to socialize with strangers. These extroverts seem to really really like it. It is so puzzling!) If you find yourself the right connector, things might just fall into place very easily.

Once you get a good number of acquaintances built up (and tag them so you can post only to these people), don't be afraid to invite people out or even put out a cattle call on FB saying "I am going to go to XYZ but I am pretty new in town so I am going alone. Would anyone like to join me?" You could also try saying "I am going to XYZ, will anyone else be there?" for a little less pressure on the hang out. Then, make a point of finding those people at the event and being friendly with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM

140 posts, read 278,216 times
Hi, I've been lurking here for about a month but this is my first post. I'm probably moving to Columbus as an OSU grad student in May (doing research over the summer). I'll be in a similar situation, and I know how you feel - I don't drink so you can imagine how much fun bar-hopping is for me. I've moved around a lot with my career but I find that joining clubs (sports, hobbies, anything really) is a good way to meet people, and you'll automatically have something in common. If you don't mind hanging out with someone who is 35 I like museums and art galleries.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Hi, I've been lurking here for about a month but this is my first post. I'm probably moving to Columbus as an OSU grad student in May (doing research over the summer). I'll be in a similar situation, and I know how you feel - I don't drink so you can imagine how much fun bar-hopping is for me. I've moved around a lot with my career but I find that joining clubs (sports, hobbies, anything really) is a good way to meet people, and you'll automatically have something in common. If you don't mind hanging out with someone who is 35 I like museums and art galleries.
LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: