Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM

22 posts, read 50,730 times

Advertisements

Moving to Columbus with children and leaving an excellent school system. Westerville , Worthington, Hilliard or go route with Grandview? Do not want to keep up with neighbors just kid friendly down to Earth living. Suburb help!!! Is UA professors or neighborhood with families that are welcoming to newbies?
Thank you for the honest responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,106,805 times
The best schools in Columbus are Dublin, Grandview, Upper Arlington, Bexley and Worthington. New Albany also, but I really don't recommend it as a suburb for many reasons. Dublin and Worthington are the most suburban areas of the two, while Grandview, Upper Arlington and Bexley are old suburbs that are fairly close to the urban core. They are all very safe areas and have lots of amenities nearby. Upper Arlington has long been considered kind of snooty. A lot of people from established money lived/live there, but I'm not sure how accepting it is today. Grandview is definitely more open, more middle-class and it has a nice little walkable downtown area with shops and restaurants. It's also less expensive in regards to housing.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Default Westerville? North or south? Dublin Snooty?

Thank you for replying! Is Grandview ok with new transplants? Westerville any advice on north or south school? Same as Worthington ? Best location in that area? Just want to feel at home and where my kids will feel welcome especially since two are in middle school!
Thank You columbus !

Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,629,459 times
Westerville north is better than the south. Be aware there have been problems with the millage proposals being voted down. That's fine for retirees and non-parents but there won't be the programming available that you'll find in those other areas.

On the other hand, Westerville property taxes remain somewhat affordable for that reason, and if you're planning on your children going to a local community college, they'll get what they need at a much lesser cost than Dublin or UA.

However, if you want increased opportunities for scholarships at more elite 4-year colleges, then you might want to consider one of the other cities.

Given the economy these days, I'd rather see a youngster go get a trade, like HVAC, first, work for awhile and then maybe consider transferring those credits to a state college and getting a useful degree, such as accounting. That sort of plan keeps student loans at a minimum and provides the background to work in two fields, should the need arise.

Not really what you asked, but I hate to see parents stretch themselves to live in Dublin but end up having a poor quality of life because all of the money is going into taxes and credit card payments. Or they lose their jobs and can't keep up the house payments. Not saying that's your situation, but I've seen it happen a lot lately.

Added: snooty people are everywhere, as are nice ones. If you are helpful and friendly, you will make some friends, no matter where. A lot of people are really stretched with the economy right now, so it's hard to say that X is a friendlier place than Y, in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Thank you for your honesty and wise advice! Programs are important to us, especially art and music . I heard Westerville cut those out? Is it true??

Any thought about Grandview and Worthington? I know they are opposite. Just thoughts.

Grandview Lots of kids , families or more going toward older generation?

So true about snooty . Can see it anywhere. We just don't want to feel the pressure of the kids feel like they can't keep up with the other kids with iPad iPhones ugg shoes ect...

I so appreciate all advice I can get.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,629,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL567 View Post
Thank you for your honesty and wise advice! Programs are important to us, especially art and music . I heard Westerville cut those out? Is it true??
They were cut in the 2012-13 academic year. I don't know their status currently.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM

381 posts, read 644,059 times
Quote:
We just don't want to feel the pressure of the kids feel like they can't keep up with the other kids with iPad iPhones ugg shoes ect...
That's basically Upper Arlington, Bexley and New Albany. Dublin to a lesser degree.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,106,805 times
Quote:
Thank you for replying! Is Grandview ok with new transplants? Westerville any advice on north or south school? Same as Worthington ? Best location in that area? Just want to feel at home and where my kids will feel welcome especially since two are in middle school!
Thank You columbus !
Grandview, out of it and Upper Arlington, seems far better at attracting new transplants, especially recently. You would do well there, as would your kids.

The one thing you may run into, especially with the more urban areas, is that housing supplies are very low and the market in these areas is very fast. Houses are selling in 30 days or less in many cases, and often have multiple offers. If you see a house you like, jump on it.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Thank you For info about Doublin not being so kids need to keep up! I was nervous with all the golf club.

Worthington or Doublin?

Grandview not welcoming to the New Family on the block ? I miss the Urban city feel !
Probably cannot afford UA .

Narrowing down between best suburb to best urban feel that will give the welcome feel yet not have to buy the UGG and next IPhone for kids!

You all know Best!!!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 PM

231 posts, read 812,121 times
BLS, you got a new job relocation here?

So far based on what I read here, I see that you only look for best schools + friendly community, and not keeping up with jones, correct?

Let's start with schools.
1) Based on Ohio Dept Education measurement of Performance Index (weighted score of all students tests), top 3 districts in the last 2 years consistently are -- Grandview, Olentangy, Dublin, and Upper Arlington. New Albany and Bexley are very close behind. I really don't know why people still think Worthington schools are among the best, but based on the scores, Worthington is sooooo yester-years. No doubt, 10 years ago Worthington was great, but not in the last 3 years. Actually, I would not consider it to be in the top tier here. Go Pages - Ohio School Report Cards to find out more, or I can send you specific links.

2) Based on US News ( Top Ohio High Schools | Best High Schools | US News ), you can see 2 of 3 Olentangy high shools are rated top 10 in the state, ahead of other high schools in central ohio. But I think this is a little subjective, as it is based on adjustment to improvement in the subgroup of minority. I think methodology is by AIR org.

Now, for friendly community. Here's some thoughts:
i) Bexley probably has the highest concentration of Jews.

ii) City wide, Dublin city probably has the lowest whites % (highest Asian %) among UA and Grandview. Olentangy is a district that spawned multiple cities so its hard to get a real number. Check out various city census in ohio Ohio QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

iii) Keeping up with Jones.... this is difficult to judge, but generally the more expensive the neighborhood the more prevalent it is. But i heard consistently, again just my opinion, New Albany is the worst offender.
I think UA probably more receiving due to proximity to Ohio State U campus. But I never heard about such issues at Dublin/Olentangy either.

2 last things -- Not sure about your home budget, but I suggest you to pay attention to property tax as it can vary substantially across the districts. Imagine you would pay extra $2K/year and receive similar quality of education, x 10 years. You can check Franklin County and Delaware County auditor web site and find the current property tax, as well as estimator. Last I check, Olentangy scored the best value.

I attached the 2013 enrollment data broken down by racial subgroup for the 4 districts i mentioned here.
Attached Thumbnails
So Burnt ! Moving to columbus and need honest advice!-enrollment.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus