Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who I'm planning to move in with this Fall to go to school. She is already graduated so she would rather not live directly on campus either, but we do need to live within walking and/or biking/easy bus transportation distance because I still need to have an easy way to get there since I won't have a car. Also, my budget is pretty tight. I can't/don't want to pay any more than $400/month and would really rather pay only up to $385 or so. I know this is tough to find, but are there any places that we should look at? I found some places...one location is on E. 5th and Summit, but I looked on google maps and it looks like a pretty ghetto area. We also found on on North 4th Street and I was wondering how that location is. I know my budget is tight and it'll be hard to find something decent. My friend said that E. 5th and summit is not actually that dangerous, but I'm afraid that it is... Can someone help me point out some areas that may be safer, but not too expensive?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybeee View Post
I have a friend who I'm planning to move in with this Fall to go to school. She is already graduated so she would rather not live directly on campus either, but we do need to live within walking and/or biking/easy bus transportation distance because I still need to have an easy way to get there since I won't have a car. Also, my budget is pretty tight. I can't/don't want to pay any more than $400/month and would really rather pay only up to $385 or so. I know this is tough to find, but are there any places that we should look at? I found some places...one location is on E. 5th and Summit, but I looked on google maps and it looks like a pretty ghetto area. We also found on on North 4th Street and I was wondering how that location is. I know my budget is tight and it'll be hard to find something decent. My friend said that E. 5th and summit is not actually that dangerous, but I'm afraid that it is... Can someone help me point out some areas that may be safer, but not too expensive?? Thanks.
2-3 years ago, I lived up around Northwood and Summit, northeast of campus, about a 1 mile walk to the Oval. At the time, I paid $350.

In general, it's better to be northeast than southeast, in terms of safety. Never had a problem where I lived.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,381 times
I went to OSU and the rule when I was there, many many years ago, was always live west of Summit, north of 11th. Now, I have daughters and I honestly wouldn't let them live south of 14th just because of the crime rate in the area. Tons of students live there now and most have no issues, but you hear enough stories of break ins and robberies that I would avoid it.

Personally, if my daughter was a grad student and looking to live near campus, I would point her to the neighborhood just north of Lane along Neil Ave. There are a ton of apartments along Neil and the side streets off of Neil, north of Lane. It is an easy walk to campus, and its right on the bike path along the river which is nice. It also tends to be a little quieter than the east of High apartment area.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwest272 View Post
I went to OSU and the rule when I was there, many many years ago, was always live west of Summit, north of 11th. Now, I have daughters and I honestly wouldn't let them live south of 14th just because of the crime rate in the area. Tons of students live there now and most have no issues, but you hear enough stories of break ins and robberies that I would avoid it.

Personally, if my daughter was a grad student and looking to live near campus, I would point her to the neighborhood just north of Lane along Neil Ave. There are a ton of apartments along Neil and the side streets off of Neil, north of Lane. It is an easy walk to campus, and its right on the bike path along the river which is nice. It also tends to be a little quieter than the east of High apartment area.

I lived in apartments on W Norwich, just west of Lane and I 2nd this...although I've noticed the ones I lived in have been torn down and new ones that are nice are going up...probably going to be higher priced than what OP is looking for...

Still probably can find good ones further up like towards Oakland or Patterson or Maynard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus