Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I am potentially moving to Columbus from Boston. Grew up on the East Coast. Moving to the Mid-West would be a totally new world for me.

Any insight on good places to live (preferably in an apartment complex), restaurants, bars, gyms, what it's like to live in Columbus as a young professional?

Aside from the workplace, what is the best way to make friends? To date?

Any insight on pretty much anything in terms of the city of Columbus would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM

240 posts, read 954,011 times
I might suggest checking out the Short North, Italian Village, Victorian Village, Harrison West... maybe Grandview. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Columbus area, so I'm talking about the area between the University District and Downtown. The Short North area and its adjacent areas are vibrant with nightlife. Rents can get a bit pricey, though.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:44 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
bg gave a good rundown of the desirable neighborhoods...the area between campus and Clintonville is good too, as are the areas near South High St just south of downtown.
It's a great city to move as a young professional due to all the people in their 20s who either stay after a stint at OSU or move from within or outside the state for career opportunities (Columbus weathered the last recession much better than most of the Midwest). Mostly a bar & restaurant town, entertainment-wise, but there is still plenty to do (though obviously not on Boston level). Overall, you'll find it to be "Midwestern nice" with a friendliness most regional cities share, and a good place to be a young single (if there is such a thing). but the best way to find out is to visit for a few days (when the worst of winter is over) and see for yourself.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
but the best way to find out is to visit for a few days (when the worst of winter is over) and see for yourself.
I don't know. After surviving the 16" in Worcester, MA, and seeing local news broadcast dumpsters floating through the Seaport District of Boston, I think this stuff here is more of an annoyance than anything. It has been cold though, but will warm up soon.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I don't know. After surviving the 16" in Worcester, MA, and seeing local news broadcast dumpsters floating through the Seaport District of Boston, I think this stuff here is more of an annoyance than anything. It has been cold though, but will warm up soon.
Yeah but if he wants to get a feel for the nightlife and such here, might be best to wait til it warms up. Not too many people partying right now, outside of the house.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:15 PM

41 posts, read 58,784 times
If you are more than 10 minutes from Nationwide Arena, you are looking in the wrong places. All the hip spots for young professionals are in the surrounding areas of downtown, as was previously mentioned.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural510 View Post
yeah but if he wants to get a feel for the nightlife and such here, might be best to wait til it warms up. Not too many people partying right now, outside of the house.
BIG SMILEY FACE!

Because the emojis aren't working.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
I might suggest checking out the Short North, Italian Village, Victorian Village, Harrison West... maybe Grandview. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Columbus area, so I'm talking about the area between the University District and Downtown. The Short North area and its adjacent areas are vibrant with nightlife. Rents can get a bit pricey, though.
If he's from Boston, the rents in these sections will seem cheap

Old 02-18-2018, 02:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conley0622 View Post
Hi there!

I am potentially moving to Columbus from Boston. Grew up on the East Coast. Moving to the Mid-West would be a totally new world for me.

Any insight on good places to live (preferably in an apartment complex), restaurants, bars, gyms, what it's like to live in Columbus as a young professional?

Aside from the workplace, what is the best way to make friends? To date?

Any insight on pretty much anything in terms of the city of Columbus would be much appreciated!
Glad you are considering Columbus as a potential move. I am originally from NJ myself.

Arena District, Grandview, Italian Village, Harrison West/Victorian Village, Short North are all areas I'd recommend.

Columbus is an extremely easy place to live, to me it just feels comfortable. You have access to bars, restaurants, shopping, community events, parks etc. without much hassle.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:03 AM

124 posts, read 108,928 times
I would without any doubt try to get a place in the arena district before looking at any other place. It’s the perfect mix of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus