Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city do you think is the most unique
Columbus 4 8.51%
Cincinnati 30 63.83%
dayton 3 6.38%
cleveland 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

Navigating the Charms of Columbus and Cincinnati

As a devoted admirer of both Columbus and Cincinnati, it's a delight to delve into the distinctive characteristics that define these two Ohio Metro gems. Each city unfolds a unique tapestry, weaving together a blend of cultural vibrancy, architectural marvels, and an undeniable sports fervor.

**Terrain and Nature's Embrace:**

Columbus, nestled in the heart of Ohio, boasts a landscape that seamlessly intertwines with urbanity. The Scioto Mile, a stunning stretch along the Scioto River, invites residents and visitors alike to embrace nature within the city. It's a haven for runners, cyclists, and those seeking a tranquil retreat. In Cincinnati, the dramatic bluffs overlooking the Ohio River create a picturesque backdrop. Eden Park, with its verdant expanses, offers a refuge for those yearning for a serene escape within the city.

**Downtown Dynamics:**

Columbus and Cincinnati redefine downtown allure in their own ways. Columbus presents a skyline marked by the iconic LeVeque Tower and the futuristic aesthetic of the Scioto Peninsula. The Short North Arts District, a vibrant neighborhood, pulses with eclectic galleries, boutiques, and a myriad of dining options. On the flip side, Cincinnati's downtown boasts the striking Great American Tower at Queen City Square. The historic Over-the-Rhine district, with its charming 19th-century architecture, provides an atmospheric backdrop for art galleries, trendy eateries, and craft breweries.

**Cultural Kaleidoscope:**

Despite their differences, both cities share a commitment to cultural enrichment. Columbus stands as a melting pot of creativity with institutions like the Wexner Center for the Arts and the Columbus Museum of Art. Meanwhile, Cincinnati's rich cultural tapestry is adorned with the Cincinnati Art Museum and the Contemporary Arts Center. Theatrical performances thrive in both cities, with venues like the Ohio Theatre in Columbus and the Aronoff Center for the Arts in Cincinnati hosting a diverse array of productions.

**Sports Passion:**

No discussion of Ohio cities is complete without acknowledging the fervor of sports enthusiasts. Columbus proudly cheers for the scarlet and gray of the Ohio State Buckeyes, with the Horseshoe, their iconic stadium, resonating with the roars of devoted fans. In Cincinnati, the Bengals and the Reds command unwavering loyalty, turning Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ball Park into lively arenas that pulsate with the energy of passionate supporters.

**Common Grounds:**

Despite their distinct identities, Columbus and Cincinnati share common threads. Both cities celebrate the essence of Midwestern warmth and hospitality, reflected in the friendliness of their residents. The Ohio River, while physically separating them, symbolizes a unifying element, fostering a sense of state pride that transcends city boundaries.

In conclusion, being a fan of both Columbus and Cincinnati is a testament to the richness of Ohio's urban landscape. Each city, with its unique contours, contributes to the diverse mosaic that defines the Buckeye State. Navigating the streets of Columbus and Cincinnati is not just a journey through physical spaces; it's an exploration of the heart and soul of two cities that beckon with open arms, inviting all to discover the charm and allure they hold within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 07:51 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Cleveland trumps Columbus and Cincinnati in each of the categories you wax poetic about in their instances. Did someone/something about Cleveland scar you?

Old 11-23-2023, 08:12 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Cleveland trumps Columbus and Cincinnati in each of the categories you wax poetic about in their instances. Did someone/something about Cleveland scar you?
Exactly! What a paranoid, nonsensical thread.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Know what's funny- yesterday I was out at a bar in Columbus watching the Browns. There were probably, i dont know, at least 25 TVs at this place. Two were playing the Blue Jackets game, one was playing Bills-Eagles and the rest were on the Browns. Could have fooled me that Columbus had any sports passion for their own teams.

Anyway, the Scioto Mile is nice, for Columbus. It's nothing to really seek out though if you don't live here. The Columbus museum of art is not worth going to, period. Downtown Columbus is a ghost town after work. None of this is particularly controversial, most here in town would agree with this assessment.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Know what's funny- yesterday I was out at a bar in Columbus watching the Browns. There were probably, i dont know, at least 25 TVs at this place. Two were playing the Blue Jackets game, one was playing Bills-Eagles and the rest were on the Browns. Could have fooled me that Columbus had any sports passion for their own teams.

Anyway, the Scioto Mile is nice, for Columbus. It's nothing to really seek out though if you don't live here. The Columbus museum of art is not worth going to, period. Downtown Columbus is a ghost town after work. None of this is particularly controversial, most here in town would agree with this assessment.
Sounds about right.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Sounds about right.
I've made a pretty good faith effort to get out and about and appreciate Columbus. I've been down here almost all month. The difference between reality and what you see on this forum (especially from a certain member who seems to sadly no longer be with us) is stark.

I actually even like my house, my street, my neighborhood, my neighbors. Doesn't come close to north of the boulevard life, but it's fine. I walk to a nice cafe almost every day. There are some places to get take out and groceries. People on the street very nice. But there just isn't very much around. For like... 10 miles. And I am in the city proper (North Linden). I was happy to be a block from a bus route that goes to some decent practical places, but the frequency is.... once an hour (until 10 pm). This is kinda just a metaphor for Columbus in general. I can see some ok things here in theory, but in practice it just leaves so much to be desired. For best results living in Columbus, you have to just let go of what you were used to and embrace the vanilla, while trying to find your niche that can get you through.

very much looking forward to my upcoming weekend in Collinwood!

Old 11-27-2023, 11:08 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:

I'm guessing it was a different story for OSU-Michigan on Saturday.

I still contend that "Buckeyes" does not conflate to "Columbus" for most people, even for OSU alum living in Columbus.

Nationally I"d bet more people would correctly associate Ann Arbor, Gainesville etc. with their respective teams than Columbus.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I've made a pretty good faith effort to get out and about and appreciate Columbus. I've been down here almost all month. The difference between reality and what you see on this forum (especially from a certain member who seems to sadly no longer be with us) is stark.

I actually even like my house, my street, my neighborhood, my neighbors. Doesn't come close to north of the boulevard life, but it's fine. I walk to a nice cafe almost every day. There are some places to get take out and groceries. People on the street very nice. But there just isn't very much around. For like... 10 miles. And I am in the city proper (North Linden). I was happy to be a block from a bus route that goes to some decent practical places, but the frequency is.... once an hour (until 10 pm). This is kinda just a metaphor for Columbus in general. I can see some ok things here in theory, but in practice it just leaves so much to be desired. For best results living in Columbus, you have to just let go of what you were used to and embrace the vanilla, while trying to find your niche that can get you through.

very much looking forward to my upcoming weekend in Collinwood!
I also lived in Columbus for over a year a couple decades ago and appreciate a number of aspects of the City: such as German Village, the OSU area and just down from OSU: now known as Short North -- when I was there, it was kinda funky/cool with record and head-shops, hookah joints and live concert venues -- now its more upscale/antiseptic. And yes, there's the cool Victorian mansion district just west of the Capitol (and about a street or 2 south... Most or all of the main culture: lectures, museums, art, etc. was in/around OSU's campus.

But aside from these areas, Columbus didn't move me... downtown was really sterile and dull to me besides a few pretty buildings (and Ohio's flat-topped statehouse is among the uglier capitol buildings in the country imho... But the overall paranoid boosterism to the extent of the Cleveland put-downs -- even back when I lived there was nothing about C-Town from the locals other than rants about crime, bad neighborhoods and bad weather -- as if C-Bus was something to really boast about even the city has less than half of what makes Cleveland desirable in my book.

Despite C-Bus' growth and size, it's just an overall milquetoast bland kinda place.

Old 11-27-2023, 01:57 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Ooooh; it's a dead heat!

Old 11-28-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'm guessing it was a different story for OSU-Michigan on Saturday.

I still contend that "Buckeyes" does not conflate to "Columbus" for most people, even for OSU alum living in Columbus.

Nationally I"d bet more people would correctly associate Ann Arbor, Gainesville etc. with their respective teams than Columbus.
Lots of people out for OSU-Michigan on Saturday for sure. But the whole state watches that game anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus