Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 44,044 times

Advertisements

Hello..we are moving from IL to columbus next june.. We need help in deciding if it's best to rent to buy property? In either case, which are the best suburbs closer to OSU?

Thanks lot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 04:46 PM

43 posts, read 143,005 times
Hello, PT2003. I'll help as best as I can, though I do have some questions. Do you have children? If so, you'll need to do research on the different school districts around here. How much do you want to spend if your buying a house? What's your limit if you want to rent? Some of the suburbs around OSU can be pricey-Upper Arlington, Marble Cliff (so I've been told). I'm not sure about Grandview, it could get expensive, too. If you have no children I would rent first to get a feel of the area, then I would look to buy. A good place to check out apartments is a website called apartmentratings.com. You can read the reviews of other renters to see what they have to say about the apartment complex your considering. If it's house you definitely want, check the internet to see if you can find a website similar to apartmentratings.com, but for houses and the neighborhood you'll want to live in. I'll check the internet to see what I can find about buying a house in Columbus. Best wishes.

Last edited by musiqgirl; 10-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
Short North/Victorian Village, Clintonville or Grandview.

/thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM

43 posts, read 143,005 times
Well, PT2003, I am a woman of my word. I was able to find one website that could be of help to you. The website is homeinformer.com. It's a local real estate agency known as Revealty. It looks as though one of the Schottensteins' is involved with this business. They are a well known family here. They also build homes. There is a page on the website that tells you all about the different suburbs. Just click on that and you'll get an overview of the suburbs. I hope this helps you.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,341 times
Upper Arlington, Grandview, and Clintonville, in that order would be my biggest recommendations.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 88,327 times
I live in Clintonville and find the community to be very nice. I enjoy the location as it close to OSU, downtown and the arena district. You will be able to find several rentals in the area typically ranging from $600-900.00/month.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 AM

22 posts, read 88,327 times
I noticed in the posts that someone referred to my buyer brokerage and their webpage so thought I would take a moment to point you directly to the link they are referring to.

You can look at different neighborhoods, etc. at my webpage
www.brittanysimonelli.revealty.com

Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM

150 posts, read 980,756 times
I replied to your other post, and again, would have to suggest you search this forum, because every other person asks questions about good neighborhoods near OSU. It might be helpful.

If you don't know the area and you may not be settling here long-term, renting certainly seems to make more sense. I don't think the market is that bad in all areas, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention because homes in my neighborhood are still selling relatively well and I don't plan on buying or selling in the forseeable future (I live in Clintonville).

Are you going to be a student at OSU or do you just want to be in close proximity to OSU? How long do you plan to live in Columbus? What's your price range? Do you want a house or a condo? Do you prefer a more urban setting or a suburb? What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

A nice thing about having so many students in the area is that it's relatively easy to find a sublet, so you can rent short-term while house-hunting, and you don't have to shell out $3k-$4k per month for a corporate apartment.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM

14 posts, read 44,044 times
Thank you for the response... i really appreciate it..

My husband will be starting his fellowship at OSU and i am a physical therapist....due to long work hrs for him we would like to stay close to OSU.. may be 15-20min commute.....we have decided to rent first as we are not sure about our long term plans...so, aptartent range $700-$900...mainly looking for quite neighborhood but close proximity to shopping, dinning, etc...

thanks..

Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
If Clintonville has a weakness, it is that there really are not many good restaurants or any shopping once you get far enough north for the neighborhoods to be nice and safetly away from the Hudson/High area of northern campus. Grandview is just as nice and you would most likely be able to walk to any number of little shops/coffee places/pubs/restaurants. Victorian Village is less quiet, but with even more shopping and endless choices for dining/nightlife within a brief walk to the Short North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus