Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,281 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Victorian Village and currently live in German Village and now I am looking for an area that is a little (or a lot) more safe, but close to downtown. I am finishing up at OSU and work downtown, so I will need to be within close proximity but really don't want to continue living inner-city.

I'd really like to live in an area that is nice, safe, quaint, etc. with a little bit of charm.

I was looking into Grandview, Clintonville, Upper Arlington, etc....but I'm not really that familiar with the areas.

We're looking to rent a house or condo (2 bedrooms) in the mid 900.00 price range in one of those areas (or even like Gahanna or Worthington if you'd recommend that better). Preferably one with a little bit of charm...

Can anyone recommend any of those places? Especially if you currently live in a nice little area (or know of rentals there) and would recommend it to someone who needs access to downtown without really living down there..

Thanks so much! Everyone on here seems so helpful. =)

-Morgan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 PM

Haha-- 26 views and no posts! Pleaseeee help! =(

Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
You already mentioned the obvious choices. Clintonville (not too close to campus) or Grandview... take yer pick.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 25,373 times
if you're looking for charm... i'd suggest grandview, but clintonville and upper arlington are good places too.

check metro-rentals.com and craigslist. you're sure to find something on there.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM

179 posts, read 594,985 times
Grandview proper, south of 5th, is a nice area. In the no-man's land between 5th and UA, you're in CPD territory and there was a crime problem even a few years ago.

I also had a jerk for a landlord, who still owes me @1000, so look out for unscrupulous property owners.

I've been considering moving back, and I've found several newer homes for rent. Casualties of the MI/Dominion mortgage failures no doubt. 900 would find you in a nice suburb, but a short commute would be necessary.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:40 PM

I am a bit insane about checking craigslist and metro-rentals and even suburban-rentals. The issue is that I really am not a fan of the "typical rental unit". I know that it comes with the territory of renting, but I just hate that people can be so disrespectful to units.

NorthWord: Ah...yes. We're currently living in a house that fell victim to the housing market and was vacant for four years! I'd love to get into another house, did you find a site or something with the MI/Dominion failures?! =)

Thanks everyone for your insight. I'll probably just stick to the old-fashioned looking at craigslist, driving around, finding people with landlord connections!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 PM

179 posts, read 594,985 times
Trulia.com is the place to go.
Their "sale" section has a ton of listings from RealtyTrac - which, as I understand it, is a scam. However, their data is pretty accurate. Several of the houses looked like the Dominion condo communities (those detached units that sprang up several years ago).

If you're looking to rent (and don't want to live in one of the manufactured Columbus "lifestyle communities"), I'd simply grab the paper. Many homes for rent the last time I looked.

Oh, I don't know this site's policy for posting this information, but I'd stay away from a landlord named "Hank B." He has property in Grandview and around Merion Village. He has a shady home improvement operation and does basement waterproofing as well. This Old Basement, Your Property Management, etc.
For several reasons, I wish him dick cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus