Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM

422 posts, read 792,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
That's a good question and no, all I had was admin, admin....will change that right now.
He was talking about wireless password. But he is completely incorrect (please dont post stuff if you don't know what you are talking about!). Linksys routers will host 128 clients on the router (DHCP range). Someone connecting to it would hardly cause the internet to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
He was talking about wireless password. But he is completely incorrect (please dont post stuff if you don't know what you are talking about!). Linksys routers will host 128 clients on the router (DHCP range). Someone connecting to it would hardly cause the internet to stop.

I find that I have to hit the reset button on the black router maybe every couple hours. Not sure if something is happening every couple hours or if it is time related.

Still, why would bittorrent keep downloading?

When I hit the reset, the bittorrent does stop downloading for a minute or so but it and the rest of my computers get right back onto the internet.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 AM

I think I found a solution but I still don't know why bittorrent kept downloading while the PCs couldn't connect to the internet.

I updated the firmware with third part firmware.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

It changes the router login interface and I download a new firmware.

So far so good.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
I think I found a solution but I still don't know why bittorrent kept downloading while the PCs couldn't connect to the internet.

So far so good.
In other threads, NHDave has recommended using dd-wrt, the open source router firmware. Good job.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-15-2010 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: creative spelling

Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:

So far so good.
I use this firmware also, on my own router. It has proven to be the most reliable, and the features aren't bad either.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I use this firmware also, on my own router. It has proven to be the most reliable, and the features aren't bad either.
I've only had it loaded for a day or so. What are the features or advantages (other than it apparently solved my connection problem)?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I've only had it loaded for a day or so. What are the features or advantages (other than it apparently solved my connection problem)?
Quite simply, it turns your $60 router into a $600 router. It can boost the transmit power from 28mW to over 200mW also, giving you a huge wifi range boost.

Hack Attack: Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki

Most of those features are only found in high end routers. But a simple firmware upgrade can bring them to a $60 router.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Quite simply, it turns your $60 router into a $600 router. It can boost the transmit power from 28mW to over 200mW also, giving you a huge wifi range boost.

Hack Attack: Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki

Most of those features are only found in high end routers. But a simple firmware upgrade can bring them to a $60 router.

Ya, I heard you could crank the power of these routers but I never checked it out. Was it possible to crank the power with the linksys 192.168.1.1 interface (router control panel)?

And, while I got you here, if I wanted to, how would I go back to the linksys control panel? Is that possible?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Ya, I heard you could crank the power of these routers but I never checked it out. Was it possible to crank the power with the linksys 192.168.1.1 interface (router control panel)?

And, while I got you here, if I wanted to, how would I go back to the linksys control panel? Is that possible?
The linksys firmware has it locked at 28mW. You could easily go back, just go to the linksys site and download their latest firmware. Then, upload it in the DDWRT interface and its back to linksys.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The linksys firmware has it locked at 28mW. You could easily go back, just go to the linksys site and download their latest firmware. Then, upload it in the DDWRT interface and its back to linksys.
But would it bring back the linksys control panel too? Or just the functionality of the linksys fw? It seems I downloaded two things from ddwrt, was one of them the new control panel and the other the fw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers