Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:08 PM

570 posts, read 1,291,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So what web browser do you use? Do you browse with scripting enabled?
I alternate between Firefox and IE. I will confess that I still use IE Version 6 because when I updated to Version 7, it was all different and I did not like it. So I switched back to Version 6 and I use Firefox if Version 6 doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No it doesn't, but you can use a browser add on such as Web of Trust.
I've never heard of Web of Trust. Where or how can I get that add-on?

BTW: I started a new thread about another thing that happened just this morning when I turned on my computer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 02:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,551,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I alternate between Firefox and IE. I will confess that I still use IE Version 6 because when I updated to Version 7, it was all different and I did not like it. So I switched back to Version 6 and I use Firefox if Version 6 doesn't work.
So you're primarily using the most insecure version of the most insecure browser and wondering why you're getting infected with crap.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,869,697 times
Two things: You mentioned running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. IIRC they recommend running it in Normal Mode, and the word is advice. You can ask to be advised about something, but you ask for advice.

I'm not trying to be nasty about it. I just feel education is an ongoing endeavor and try to help others when I can. Lord knows I can use all the help I can get...

Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,551,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Two things: You mentioned running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. IIRC they recommend running it in Normal Mode, and the word is advice.
I honestly don't know why they'd recommend running it in normal mode. Most of the time if you have an infection bad enough to warrant running Malwarebytes in the first place, the malware is going to interfere with updating and running Malwarebytes. Safe mode is often the only way to get enough control over the system to start the cleanup process.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Two things: You mentioned running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. IIRC they recommend running it in Normal Mode, and the word is advice. You can ask to be advised about something, but you ask for advice.

I'm not trying to be nasty about it. I just feel education is an ongoing endeavor and try to help others when I can. Lord knows I can use all the help I can get...
Oops.... sorry. I didn't realize I needed to use 'spell-check' when I post questions or comments on the City-Data Computer Forum.
I don't claim to be the worlds best speller and when I am in a hurry I make typos.
Yes,.. I too feel education is an on-going thing and I admire people who have intelligence. Especially those who share their knowledge with others with constructive comments.
When I'm ready for some tutoring in spelling I'll make sure to look you up for some help

And another thing is ....... I do run Malwarebytes in Normal Mode, under Normal conditions. However, the reason I mentioned that I ran it in Safe Mode is because the infection was already on my computer making everything freeze and did not even allow be to click on the Malwarebytes icon. When I did it would bring up a window that said "disabled". The only way I was able to run Malwarebytes is to do it in Safe Mode, just as EscapeCalifornia mentioned in his post.
Thanks anyway, for trying to help.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I honestly don't know why they'd recommend running it in normal mode. Most of the time if you have an infection bad enough to warrant running Malwarebytes in the first place, the malware is going to interfere with updating and running Malwarebytes. Safe mode is often the only way to get enough control over the system to start the cleanup process.

Yes, California. That is exactly what happened.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,869,697 times
That makes more sense. I did have another PC that I had to do the same thing to over the weekend. It had HDD Scan on it and the only way to install and run Malwarebytes was in safe mode.

I'm trying to remember who, but I am certain it was a member here that said it MB recommended running it in normal mode. It might have been NHDave.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,088,973 times
Quote:
That makes more sense. I did have another PC that I had to do the same thing to over the weekend. It had HDD Scan on it and the only way to install and run Malwarebytes was in safe mode.

I'm trying to remember who, but I am certain it was a member here that said it MB recommended running it in normal mode. It might have been NHDave.
That it was my friend
But obviously common sense must prevail, if you can't run it in normal mode, the app author isn't going to hunt you down because you ran it in safe mode to get the cleanup ball rolling

Old 12-27-2010, 01:09 PM

16,766 posts, read 15,831,237 times
Quote:
..... It might have been NHDave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That it was my friend .....
Have you all noticed how often we recall things NHDave said a long time ago?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,088,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Have you all noticed how often we recall things NHDave said a long time ago?
Yes, and frankly that concerns me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers