Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times

Advertisements

As you all would remember about 6 months ago I had a virus problem, I have since got rid of it, but the effects of it linger onward.

For instance, Autorun still won't work, I've tried to fix it, but I still have to open things manually. On paint/wordpad/notepad/calculator/etc. the "file" (and assorted tabs) are the standard gray but they have a white highlight around them, and when the mouse is carried over them, they turn white until you close then reopen said program.

The internet seems fine, except that the virus all those months ago (and the software it took to take it off) did some zany stuff to the re-direct, before the virus it was the EMachines site re-direct if the site I was going to wouldn't show up (it would take it to the EMachines search engine) and occurences like that were rare, not anymore, now at different times I have the google redirect which can be very slow (and, there is a site error that will read "Oops! Internet Explorer couldn't find XYZ.com", I then refresh and either gets the site I was going to or "Oops! Internet Explorer could not find Google.com" (which I find a little humorous since right next to it is 'powered by Google'), this will happen sporadically.

Is there any software I can get to repair any of this, or is my computer permenantly damaged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
What OS?

XP: Windows XP File Assocation Fixes

Try the EXE association fix

7: Default File Type Associations - Restore - Windows 7 Forums

Also try Ccleaner or Little Cleaner

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Little Registry Cleaner | Download Little Registry Cleaner software for free at SourceForge.net

At the very most you could run a repair install

Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
The OS is XP, and I'm using IE8.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
You will be amazed just how much of all these lingering issues will vanish if you simply created a new user profile then manually copy (using Windows Explorer) all needed files from the damaged one to the new one.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You will be amazed just how much of all these lingering issues will vanish if you simply created a new user profile then manually copy (using Windows Explorer) all needed files from the damaged one to the new one.
I've fixed a number of problems that way.

I'd also recommend running SFC /SCANNOW from the command prompt. Keep a copy of your XP disc handy in the event it needs it.

The links above are solid. I've used the association fixes before on a number of computers. If your links on your desktop aren't working, use the "link association fix" in the website above.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
If your running XP, Microsoft released an update to turn autorun off permanently as a means if increasing security.

AutoRun turned off permanently in Windows XP by Microsoft | TechRepublic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers