Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,828 times

Advertisements

When using Google to search for something, ...some sites on the list are safe and some are not.
Isn't there a way to tell if a site is safe or not?
I used to see that but since I've re-installed Windows it does not show anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
When you do a search, you should see a "Safe Search" button on the upper right of your results page. You can select off, moderate or strict.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
You may need to reset your Google preferences for "SafeSearch" at
Preferences

Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
When you do a search, you should see a "Safe Search" button on the upper right of your results page. You can select off, moderate or strict.
I did not see "Safe Search" button on the upper right of the results page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You may need to reset your Google preferences for "SafeSearch" at
Preferences
I checked out the "Preferences link" and it has to do with "how much explicit sexual content should SafeSearch filter from your results?"
What I was wanting is something that "may" warn about if a site that is authentic or not.

I am wondering if that could have been Bing that does that?
I used to have Bing on my computer but I never liked it .

Old 01-14-2012, 04:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
What you're talking about should be a setting in your browser. Depending on what you're using, you should be able to set Security. But a malware app (like Malwarebytes), running in background, is a better bet.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:20 PM

119 posts, read 226,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
When using Google to search for something, ...some sites on the list are safe and some are not.
Isn't there a way to tell if a site is safe or not?
I used to see that but since I've re-installed Windows it does not show anymore.
Avast Antivirus has a free edition that comes with a "web rep" plugin. Sites that show yellow or red should usually be avoided. However if you do run into a site attempting to send you some malware (sometimes without the knowledge of the site owner) it will also block that potentially harmful file.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM

I use IE 8.
My Security Setting is set at what it always has been ..."Medium-high".
I have Malwarebytes (free version) running, however I have picked up "malware" in the past a couple of times and in both cases Malwarebytes did not catch it.
I also have Microsoft Security Essentials.
I don't believe I can have both MSE and Avast at the same time, or can I ?
I've always heard MSE is the best to use.
Anyway,... I know I was not using AVAS when I used to see the warnings about some sites on the Google list.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Don't quote me on this but I believe Google no longer lists sites they have deemed to contain malicious content. The issue for Google is a site can serve one page to Google and another to the site visitor commonly called cloaking so any link on their page potentially can contain malicious content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I'm pretty sure that is content filter for adult material which may not work as intended in some cases.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM

119 posts, read 226,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I use IE 8.
My Security Setting is set at what it always has been ..."Medium-high".
I have Malwarebytes (free version) running, however I have picked up "malware" in the past a couple of times and in both cases Malwarebytes did not catch it.
I also have Microsoft Security Essentials.
I don't believe I can have both MSE and Avast at the same time, or can I ?
I've always heard MSE is the best to use.
Anyway,... I know I was not using AVAS when I used to see the warnings about some sites on the Google list.
Having 2 antivirus programs installed at the same time is like putting 2 beta fish in the same tank. It would be a bad idea. There are other programs that can give you a similar display, AVG does it as well, beyond that I'm not sure because those are the only two that I use myself.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I use WOT with Safari. (WOT: Guide and settings | WOT (Web of Trust)) The ratings are very accurate. There must be similar programs for other browsers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers