Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM

116 posts, read 232,817 times

Advertisements

So I've had this HP notebook for about a year and this weel it started going crazy on me. First it started with small flickering, then the other day the whole screen started flashing like crazy. I did it a little today. I guess I will need a new laptop. So I've been googling which brand people think is the best. They say good and bad things about each so I'm really confused. I love this computer I really hate it's doing this. another thing, is it the brand I should be worried about or the processor? Anyways what would you recommend? Oh and by the way I don't want to go over $600 because this is a last minute thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
In terms of processor, make sure the laptop has an Intel i3, i5 or i7 processor.

Regarding brands of laptops, you might want to start by reading this discussion: WHo makes the best laptop or notebook?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
So I've had this HP notebook for about a year and this weel it started going crazy on me. First it started with small flickering, then the other day the whole screen started flashing like crazy. I did it a little today. I guess I will need a new laptop. So I've been googling which brand people think is the best. They say good and bad things about each so I'm really confused. I love this computer I really hate it's doing this. another thing, is it the brand I should be worried about or the processor? Anyways what would you recommend? Oh and by the way I don't want to go over $600 because this is a last minute thing.
The brand of the laptop doesn't matter all that much but I've heard gateway is bad about using cheap hardware. The hardware that is used is very important. Stay away from laptops with weak processors like celerons and atoms unless you only use it for internet. If you want a powerful processor for under $600 then I would suggest going for an i5 processor. Laptops with i5s start under $600. Make sure to read reviews on any laptops you are interested in so you don't get stuck with a laptop made of parts that will fail.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
The brand of the laptop doesn't matter all that much...
I completely disagree with that. There are different build qualities among different brands.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
The heart (CPU) of every PC/Laptop is made by either Intel or AMD. The video card/chipset designed and made by Intel, AMD, and other 3rd party vendors. The hard drive made by a handful of 3rd party vendors, and the PC company buys and assembles the components.

Basically there isn't a nickles worth of difference between comparable computers, but there may be a lot of nickles difference in the "out the door price". So if you are in the market for a 15" laptop with 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB drive, and a i5 processor, price will indicate the best.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM

I hear lenovo has good computers, which do you recommend

Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
You bought it less than a year ago? Go get it fixed under warranty....

Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM

well i bought it january last year but not sure which day, and i dont know if my om bought the warranty, I hope she did though

Old 01-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
I hear lenovo has good computers, which do you recommend
Lenovo ThinkPads are very high quality. The non-ThinkPad Lenovo laptops are the same lower quality as laptops put out by HP, Toshiba, Gateway, etc.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:18 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I completely disagree with that. There are different build qualities among different brands.

All brands will pump out crap products sometimes. Lenovo, Toshiba, HP, Dell, Acer, and every other manufacturer produce some laptops that have negative reviews. It's always best to look at the laptop you are buying rather than make assumptions based on other models offered by the same brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers