Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally disagree. I don't want to sidetrack, I understand the OP's need for a desktop, but for 95% of consumers out there, there is ZERO need for a desktop computer.
You can read my list of complaints about laptops here.

Quote:
use the computer and sit on the couch and watch tv at the same time.
This is one of the reasons I used to justify purchasing a laptop, but you know what? I quickly found out I CAN'T watch TV and surf the internet etc because it's simply too difficult i.e. I can't keep track of what's happening/being said on the show I'm watching and can't fully comprehend what I'm reading on the computer. So I quickly ended up placing the laptop to one side until a commercial came along. Nowadays I hardly ever take my laptop off of its desk.

And you ever try to eat chips without having crumbs all over the keyboard? Not to mention the scary thought of dumping a beer all over the laptop in a moment of inattentiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Laptops cost more for equivalent computing power. The break more often and are less serviceable. They cannot be expanded except with external devices. Their keyboards are worse than a $20 Microsoft keyboard. The display height is fixed.
Pretty much agree with all this.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
HP computers are loaded with an obscene amount of junkware. Not a fan of either their desktops or laptops. My dad's desktop was HP. Lasted long, but it was not any more user friendly than any other. 95% of user friendli-ness comes from the operating system.

I think the OP is approaching this correctly though I would suggest a new all-in-one unit. Fewer cables, less clutter on the desk. Mostly a monitor and keyboard. Easy to find a 20 inch unit from Dell, HP, or maybe even Sony.
Like pretty much any other PC brand... Silly comment to make.

If it's such a problem why not simply use this?

PC Decrapifier description, System Resources Tune-Up Downloads List By 30 Day Change | PCWorld | PCWorld

Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

PC Decrapifier description, System Resources Tune-Up Downloads List By 30 Day Change | PCWorld | PCWorld
"Craplets" - I like the name...

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Never really got why people were so bothered by Bloatware on PC's. It's not like Dell\HP\IBM keep you form simply uninstalling it.
Unlike cell phones where VZW will NOT let you remove the crap...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:

Sure it is easy to get rid of. But it takes work that many people are uncomfortable doing. Not you or me. But my mom, my dad, and many others wonder "can I get rid of that somehow?" My parents ask "why is AOL on my computer. I don't use it."

Dell Latitude laptops have very little bloatware preinstalled. Some Lenovo models are relatively free of it too. So not all PCs are equally bloated.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Your mother and father can't run decrapifier?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Your mother and father can't run decrapifier?
I know it's hard for a TekFreek to believe, but some people are really computer illiterate. Even if they can use E-mail or Google stuff, they have no idea how it works or they're paralyzed with fear that they are going to "break something" or "lose a file." My mother used a computer for years before she fully "got" the concept of Windows. Her first computer was an IBM 286 and everything more complicated than that really threw her for a loop. I also know someone who had a terrible time with "cut and paste."

I can sew but I can't knit. Why's that? I'm sure there are some really stupid people who can knit up a storm. I have a friend who's mentally disabled and is functionally illiterate. She isn't allowed to drive but she took car repair at a community college and she can work on car engines. She also figured out in a day how to use her Android smart phone without anyone explaining it to her. The human mind is still more complex than a computer.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM

You won't run Decrapifier for your mother and father?

Is that a better question?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
My mother still needs help turning on and off the computer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers