Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,578 times

Advertisements

Where are the Google Chrome bookmarks stored on my computer? I tried C/programs/google/google chrome with no results.

I like to back up my bookmarks (favorites) in my external hard drive in case my computer ever gives out. I know where explorer favorites are stored but I don't use explorer anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Inside the "...\Chrome\User Data\Default\" directory are two files. "Bookmarks", and "Bookmarks.bak". One is for your current bookmarks, and the other one (with the .bak extension) signifies that it is a bookmarks backup, if anything goes wrong. Bookmarks.bak gets overwritten every time you close Chrome.

Bookmarks in Chrome exist as a virtual filesystem. Meaning, that all your bookmarks are really just stored in one file, but appear as an actual filesystem inside Chrome.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Inside the "...\Chrome\User Data\Default\" directory are two files. "Bookmarks", and "Bookmarks.bak". One is for your current bookmarks, and the other one (with the .bak extension) signifies that it is a bookmarks backup, if anything goes wrong. Bookmarks.bak gets overwritten every time you close Chrome.

Bookmarks in Chrome exist as a virtual filesystem. Meaning, that all your bookmarks are really just stored in one file, but appear as an actual filesystem inside Chrome.
I'm sorry, I misled. All I have is C/programs/google, after that I have only the following selections:
Common/Google Updater
Crash Reports
Google Toolbar/Component
Google Toolbar Notifier
Update

Where could they be hiding and can I save that virtual file on my external and initiate it on a new computer?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I'm sorry, I misled. All I have is C/programs/google, after that I have only the following selections:
Common/Google Updater
Crash Reports
Google Toolbar/Component
Google Toolbar Notifier
Update

Where could they be hiding and can I save that virtual file on my external and initiate it on a new computer?
If all you're doing is moving them to another computer, do it the easy way(s).

Method #1:

Export them with the bookmark manager:
chrome://bookmarks/#1
Click organize then export.

Or method #2:

simply set up syncing on both here:
chrome://settings/personal

Just sign in with a google account, tell it to sync, and watch magic happen.

Edit: Looks like the links aren't working, just copy them and paste them in your chrome window.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post

Method #1:

Or method #2:

Edit: Looks like the links aren't working, just copy them and paste them in your chrome window.
Oh Man - Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post

Method #1:

Or method #2:

I did both and all went great. I now have my links saved in an HTML document on my external drive. I update as I add bookmarks. Thanks again, was just what I was looking for!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,673 times
no problem, Chrome for life!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 14,444 times
All this is close to my problem. However, my old computer crashed and is available only as drive D:. In the old days, we'd just Mount D, but I fear my training is obsolete. How can I get my bookmarks from D:UsersLarryAppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser DataDefault? I tried creating the folder and files on C:/ but it wouldn't be fooled. The last four folders needed to be manually created, even though I'm using Chrome on the "new" computer. Any help out there?
Thanks

Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Just what the heck is this supposed to mean?

Quote:
but it wouldn't be fooled
Please take a look at this web page:

http://superuser.com/questions/37636...rks-on-windows

You'll note that depending on your Windows version the bookmarks are stored in two different places.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers