Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,840,555 times

Advertisements

No need to post your credentials. We can tell from their posts who knows their stuff, and who doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,441,481 times
This will be my last comment on the subject because frankly I feel like this thread is about to get locked, it's going nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. There is nothing wrong with "working on computers on the side". My brother worked on "computers on the side" for 10 years, and walked off the street took both the A+ and Network certs without studying an ounce, passed them both, and now hes employed going around cleaning up "help desk managers" issues they either cant solve, or make worse. By the way, I also walked in off the street, and got the same certs. Amazing! Im just simply not interested in working on computers for a living, it annoys me enough when I have to fix my coworkers, family, friends and extended families problems. If I had to deal with stupid people and their stupid problems all day, every day, I would go insane.
My 13 year old brother has his A+ cert, most CompTia certs are resume fodder, and not even remotely close to difficult to get.

Quote:
The last person Id tap for advice for anything computer related is someone who lacks the competency to build one.
Do you really think this? Come on, now. You're really showing some glaring ignorance if this is your true opinion. Lacks competency to build a PC? It takes, what, 13 minutes to put the 8 or so parts together and plug it in? You REALLY don't think he knows how to do that?

Custom PCs in the workplace is not viable whatsoever.

Quote:
I also have zero issue admitting when Im wrong, infact, I usually dont say anything if Im not positive Im right, however, Im not wrong.
In this thread, about a PC with a fairly modern OS (the OP's comp is only 5 years old) and here's what you had to say:

Quote:
By unplugging the machine, you are at minimum, contributing to the fragmentation of the hard disk.
You are wrong in this regard. You said it yourself earlier, when you were covering your tracks. You said it isn't a problem with modern OSs.

Lets put the pitchforks down and get over it. This was a trollish thread to begin with.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Lol. The last person Id tap for advice for anything computer related is someone who lacks the competency to build one.
Really dude, you're going to crow about that when 12 and 13 year old kids are building them every day?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,730,512 times
In before the lock.
Also my last post.
RandomDude you are being WAY to freaking hostile.

Quote:
2. A Webmaster? A Microsoft Office Expert? A Help Desk Manager? Are these supposed to be some sort of intimidating titles?
Seriously? I wasn't even trying to be rude.
Remember >>>> "No offense... I'm sure you know some stuff"... but you are just being way to defensive.
Not attacking you here, man.

Intimidating? Just saying that is a sampling of the things I've done. And do. Every day. Defragging moms PC is a lot different the have to take an Exchange Database offline and defragging that.

Quote:
3. There is no way in hell a Microsoft Office Expert or webmaster is more qualified to talk about computer hardware by their title then me, in fact, those titles dont make them more qualified to talk about computer hardware then any one off the street.
I wasn't equating my job titles specifically with hardware knowledge.
But everything is based on hardware at its core. The webapges we build, the Office Installations we roll out. All of it.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
Quote:
Good thing I already have certifications telling me what Im talking about.....amazing.
Playing the certification card here is useless. You'll find that you are out-certified to the max by other posters.

It doesn't impress anyone.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Been fixing computers on the side for 17 years, and been using them for 26......whats your point?

Im tired of people who think the computer was invented in 2000 trying to tell me what I know. Its hilarious.
Since you want to play the game: 30 years (IBM PC-1 in 1982), on the side for at least 20 years, and my own business since 2001. Now retired.

Oh, yeah, I got a few certs if that's important to you - it's not to me.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 PM

I agree with other posters: It's time to close the thread. It's no longer of any use to the OP. Just a pissing match now.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,205,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
This will be my last comment on the subject because frankly I feel like this thread is about to get locked, it's going nowhere.

My 13 year old brother has his A+ cert, most CompTia certs are resume fodder, and not even remotely close to difficult to get.
Its not difficult for someone who actually knows about computers. The A+ test has between a 20-30% pass rate, which means 70% of people who think they know enough, dont.

The only reason they are resume fodder is because practically everyone who actually repairs computers professionally has one, or can obtain one.

The A+ Network test isnt remotely resume fodder, and has a pass rate in the single digits last time I checked.

Nobody who has a roudimentary knowledge of computers could pass either test period, and its proven through the failure rates and the HUGE booming business of selling 900 page study guides for it.

Quote:
Do you really think this? Come on, now. You're really showing some glaring ignorance if this is your true opinion. Lacks competency to build a PC? It takes, what, 13 minutes to put the 8 or so parts together and plug it in? You REALLY don't think he knows how to do that?
13 minutes to put the parts together? Yeah, thats all there is to building a stable PC......it absolutely doesnt require setting up the BIOS, setting up the OS, properly chaining drives.....

Anyhow, if its so simple, Then why didnt he do it? Nobody I know who even remotely has any inkling of how to build a computer buys one off the shelf, because they are aware that off the shelf computers are largely garbage and constructed to sell in mass to people who dont know any better.

Every time I see someone buy a mass produced computer I want to slap them myself.

Quote:

In this thread, about a PC with a fairly modern OS (the OP's comp is only 5 years old) and here's what you had to say:
Please copy and paste where he SAID he had a modern OS. You made that assumption based on the age of his computer.

Quote:

You are wrong in this regard. You said it yourself earlier, when you were covering your tracks. You said it isn't a problem with modern OSs.
I wasnt covering anything, I just wasnt making assumptions about what the OP's computer was or wasnt, like most people who attacked me.

I never make assumptions about what anyone has when I dont have direct vision in to their system. Anyone claiming to be a "tech" should have learned that day 1 on the job.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,205,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Really dude, you're going to crow about that when 12 and 13 year old kids are building them every day?
You arent, thats all that matters.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers