Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Nha Trang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I copy/paste the above to here, it is a link.

When I copy/paste the above to an outgoing e-mail using Hotmail and Internet Explorer, it is a clickable link.

When I copy/paste the above to an outgoing e-mail using Hotmail and Firefox it is not a clickable link.
It looks like this:

Why is it not blue and able to be used, to open the webpage? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
What email package are you using in FF?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What email package are you using in FF?
Hotmail in both FF and IE.
In IE the links copy/paste blue, and in Hotmail using FF they do not.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

The above URL was copied from the original site was pasted here with Firefox....

Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

The above URL was copied from the original site was pasted here with Firefox....
I just clicked on your link and it opens Wikipedia.
I'm also using FF right now, with my Hotmail box.
I am going to copy/paste the web address for that website, and try to send it to myself, using Hotmail and Firefox.

I just copied it here, and it copies fine.

Now, I'll go to my Hotmail account which has been opened using FF.

When I paste it, it is not blue, it's all black.
I'll go ahead and send the message to myself and see if the "received" message has the link in blue, so I can click on it.

No, it does not. It pasted black, and was received black.

It paste fione with Hotmail and IE.
But, not Hotmail and FF.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Generally when you paste something into a textarea like the posting panel here the html formatting is not included. This site uses a JS script to parse the contents on the clipboard to format it into bbcode, it's not a standard browser feature because formatting of hyperlinks is not standard for textboxes. bbcode is used for security purposes.

After pasting a link here click the little box in the corner with the A to switch the posting editor mode, the link will now appear formatted with bbcode. That isn't even what was on the clipboard when you copied it to begin with because it's specific code that works with the forum software.

As far as Hotmail goes they would be doing something similar however since Hotmail is owned by MS it should come as no surprise it won't work in Firefox.

You can right click links and select "copy link location" for the url but that doesn't copy the link text.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-19-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

If you are pasting the URL this is a separate feature than copying link text with a hyperlink, it won't appear as formatted link until after you submit it. the forum software loads the page from the site to get the title and formats it with that text. For example:

Ronald Reagan - Wikiquote

If you look at the title bar on the top:
Ronald Reagan - Wikiquote

If we view the source code for the page:

<title>Ronald Reagan - Wikiquote</title>

Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 AM

I'm trying again outside of Hotmail.
I have a FF browser open, and an IE browser open, to the same exact weblink.

I'll now copy/paste from the address bar in the FF browser.
2012 HP Byron Nelson Championship - PGA Tour - Golf Leaderboard - Yahoo! Sports
ok, nice and blue like it is supposed to be.

Now, I'll copy paste the exact same link that is in my IE address bar.
2012 HP Byron Nelson Championship - PGA Tour - Golf Leaderboard - Yahoo! Sports
ok, fine.

So, it seems (Firefox and Hotmail) are the issue.
I can copy/paste a link in my Outlook Express, or in a direct message to someone on City Data, and the are fine. Some might be "black" but when I go to the next line, or move my cursor away from the link, it does turn blue.

I have two hotmail accounts and the only way to have both open at the same time, is to have one in IE and the other in FF.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Generally when you paste something into a textarea like the posting panel here the html formatting is not included. This site uses a JS script to parse the contents on the clipboard to format it into bbcode, it's not a standard browser feature because formatting of hyperlinks is not standard for textboxes. bbcode is used for security purposes.

After pasting a link here click the little box in the corner with the A to switch the posting editor mode, the link will now appear formatted with bbcode. That isn't even what was on the clipboard when you copied it to begin with because it's specific code that works with the forum software.

As far as Hotmail goes they would be doing something similar however since Hotmail is owned by MS it should come as no surprise it won't work in Firefox.

You can right click links and select "copy link location" for the url but that doesn't copy the link text.
^^^This is most likely the correct explanation.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Some times when I right click to copy something, it says copy, or copy link.
Other times it has both, as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers