Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,371 times

Advertisements

Hi all and happy Sunday!

I have a virus on my computer and cannot remove it on my own. I had an anti-virus software (Norton), which xpried and that's how it got infected. I know there are many types of virus programs, so I do not know which type my laptop has. The only thing I know is my screen is dark and I cannot see my desktop at all. Geeksquad wants to charge me almost $200.00 to remove the software!!

Is there a virus removal software I can download myself to remove the virus? I downloaded the AVG anti-virus software 30-day trial version yesterday so my laptop is now safe but AVG did not remove the virus. Please help!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
It could be malware, not a virus. Go to Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download and download their free program. Whatever you do, do not take your computer to Dork Patrol unless you want them to take all your money and make things worse. Find a local independent person if you can't fix it yourself.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM

620 posts, read 1,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
The only thing I know is my screen is dark and I cannot see my desktop at all.
Could it be your monitor connection?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Why are you assuming that you have a virus because your screen is dark? The chances are so slim (meaning none at all) that it wouldn't even be on my list of possible causes.

Geek squad is useless, unless you actually want to get screwed don't go near them.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Why are you assuming that you have a virus because your screen is dark?
About a month ago, I went to an independently-owned computer repair store and the guy told me a virus actually hid my desktop because I am no longer able to see my desktop. I had one and all of a sudden my screen just got dark and I cannot see my icons. I beleived the guy since my anti-virus had expired so I figured it got infected that way. Also, I had the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago and had to go to that store to have it removed. It is expensive for someone to do it which is why I wanted to at least try it myself. Thanks for the advice and no I will not go anywhere near Geek Squad.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Could it be your monitor connection?
No, it can't be. It is a laptop. I had a desktop with all its icons about a month ago, now it is just pitch black.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It could be malware, not a virus. Go to Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download and download their free program. Whatever you do, do not take your computer to Dork Patrol unless you want them to take all your money and make things worse. Find a local independent person if you can't fix it yourself.
Thanks. I tried the Anti-Malware and I still can't see my desktop and my icons. I will find a cheap independent store to have it taken care of. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Thanks. I tried the Anti-Malware and I still can't see my desktop and my icons. I will find a cheap independent store to have it taken care of. Thanks for your help.
Hard to tell from your description, but they could be hidden. Right click on the Desktop, and click view..and make sure "show desktop icons" is hidden. Also, download a run a program called unhide from here: Unhide Download

Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
OK, you're giving conflicting information. There is in fact malware that will hide all of the files and folders on your computer, but you will still see something on the display. You said the screen was dark, which most people would take as it's black, not showing anything at all, just as if it was turned off. Which one are we talking about?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
You could "go back in time". Might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers