Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,674,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Why worry about this at all?

Just buy from one of the dozens of vendors that sell linux already installed on laptops and desktops.
Or turn secure boot off.

My latest board has UEFI & secure boot, and once I added a Windows 8 drive to the machine it blocked all of the other drives from booting (including the Windows 7 drive) until SB was disabled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,180,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Or turn secure boot off.
Except that Microsoft is requiring hardware manufacturers to have SecureBoot on permanently, with no way of disabling, on ARM devices. So, if you want to install an alternative OS on that netbook, you're out of luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,226,155 times
Microsoft Secure Boot Could Ban Windows From PCs

Quote:
Red Hat Developer Matthew Garrett has been working with the Secure Boot standards-makers, and he recently described how users can replace the Microsoft cryptographic keys that ship with Windows 8 with their own keys and then sign any software that they want so it can run on their machine.

Microsoft Secure Boot Could Ban Windows From PCs | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,378,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Interesting..

However, the issue still remains: being able to buy a PC without having to buy a Windows license as well.

It seems immoral that one would be forced to buy a Windows license just to be able to purchase a PC. Talk about trying to monopolize...

Peace,
brian

Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Interesting..

However, the issue still remains: being able to buy a PC without having to buy a Windows license as well.

It seems immoral that one would be forced to buy a Windows license just to be able to purchase a PC. Talk about trying to monopolize...

Peace,
brian
Who's forcing you to buy a Windows license to get a PC? If you're capable of wiping Windows off of the machine and reinstalling an alternate OS, then you're more than capable of snapping together the 6 or 8 parts in the average computer.

If you are looking for Pre-Loaded / Pre-Configured machines with Linux, there are a number of companies that sell them as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Who's forcing you to buy a Windows license to get a PC? If you're capable of wiping Windows off of the machine and reinstalling an alternate OS, then you're more than capable of snapping together the 6 or 8 parts in the average computer.

If you are looking for Pre-Loaded / Pre-Configured machines with Linux, there are a number of companies that sell them as well.
At the moment, yes.
I think Microsoft's dream is to have every PC on the market with Windows on it. Want a PC? Pay the "Windows tax."

Peace,
brian

Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
At the moment, yes.
I think Microsoft's dream is to have every PC on the market with Windows on it. Want a PC? Pay the "Windows tax."

Peace,
brian
As long as raw parts are available, this will never happen.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:06 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,725,307 times
Quote:

My question is: why are people still using Windows????

Peace,
brian
When Linux or MacOS can run all of my games without any compatibility software and will support video card upgrades out of the box with no hackery required, I might quit using Windows. Until then, Windows remains the easiest choice for gaming. Not to mention commercial usage. That said, I have a macbook as well. Some of my steam games are available on Mac by default, a fair number of them are not.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
As long as raw parts are available, this will never happen.
..Unless the raw parts required a "Microsoft signature" to work..

Peace,
brian

Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
When Linux or MacOS can run all of my games without any compatibility software and will support video card upgrades out of the box with no hackery required, I might quit using Windows. Until then, Windows remains the easiest choice for gaming. Not to mention commercial usage. That said, I have a macbook as well. Some of my steam games are available on Mac by default, a fair number of them are not.
Yes, it seems that the area where Linux lacks most is in gaming. (I'm not into gaming, so I'm just going by what I've heard from others.)
But what I do know a bit about, is virtual music synthesizers. And many of them, although VST (Windows-based), they are often made using apps such as SynthEdit, which is available for anyone to use. So, in a way, there is a type of "freedom" even in the Windows realm, and that I think will grow.

My guess is, as time goes by, more and more apps will be created by the public, and the open-source approach will increase.
This is because a computer is not a washing machine. It's not such a closed, end-product item. It can be used in a variety of ways, and this is the "strength" of the PC. In order to flourish, it has to stay that way.
Otherwise, we'd just have one or two companies constantly dictating what you can and can't have installed on your PC. And that is akin to tyranny.

Peace,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers