Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Just put together a new system from scratch with a SSD and two HDD's. I installed Windows without the HDD's connected. After installing windows and all the motherboard drivers I moved onto to setting the HDD's up in a RAID1 configuration. After setting them up in the BIOS as RAID1 I promptly get the blue screen of death when Windows goes to load. Windows setup starts and has no clue what the problem is.

Back to the bios and set them as regular drives, Windows boots fine. Did a little research to find out once installed Windows needs a registry edit so it will load the RAID drivers.

Am I the only one that has ever added a RAID array after installing Windows? I know it's not common but come on, this shouldn't be that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I've had exactly one system that was easy on the nerves for RAID installation and it was set up in the BIOS. Every other one I've ever done was a PITA.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
The issue is that Windows doesn't load HDD interface drivers during boot that it doesn't need. Simply adding a RAID controller wouldn't be a problem. Changing the type of HDD interface between Windows and the boot drive is. At least there's a simple registry edit to make the switch in Windows 7 without having to reload the OS. That trick doesn't work under Win8. Not sure if there's another trick but I couldn't find one.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I have a RAID array that I've been using since Windows XP days that I've moved across computers several times (while keeping the array intact). It's now on a relatively new computer running Windows 7. I moved it to the computer after already installing the OS (on an SSD). It's always gone smoothly for me.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
I think I tried to setup a RAID hd system on my old i7 920 rig and the built in RAID was junk. So I bought a QNAP NAS instead.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Wonder if that is a known issue for your make/model motherboard? Have you checked for a BIOS update?
Perhaps time to use bcdedit or a GUI 3rd party alternative?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have a RAID array that I've been using since Windows XP days that I've moved across computers several times (while keeping the array intact). It's now on a relatively new computer running Windows 7. I moved it to the computer after already installing the OS (on an SSD). It's always gone smoothly for me.
When you installed Windows the SSD was set it up as RAID from the start?

That's where my mistake was.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Wonder if that is a known issue for your make/model motherboard? Have you checked for a BIOS update?
Perhaps time to use bcdedit or a GUI 3rd party alternative?
I have it working, here's the fix:

Quote:
Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive

After you use the BIOS setup of a Windows 7-based computer or a Windows Vista-based computer to change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use either the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or redundant array of independent disks (RAID) features, you receive the following error message when the computer is restarted:

This issue occurs if the disk driver in Windows 7 or Windows Vista is disabled. This driver must be enabled before you change the SATA/RAID mode of the boot drive.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think I tried to setup a RAID hd system on my old i7 920 rig and the built in RAID was junk. So I bought a QNAP NAS instead.
This is generally true about motherboard chipset RAID. Chipset RAID systems are less than ideal.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you installed Windows the SSD was set it up as RAID from the start?

That's where my mistake was.
I didn't do anything special when installing Windows on the SSD. I installed it as if it were a regular single-drive computer. Then I installed the RAID controller (Adaptec) into the PCIE slot and attached the hard drives to it. Since I was moving an existing RAID array, all I had to do was install the drivers and attach the drives. The drives and card were already configured.

I admit that my scenario is not identical to yours as you are creating a new array.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers