Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times

Advertisements

I was using my netbook the other day and noticed it was running very slowly. I checked the resource monitor and noticed the CPU usage was jumping over 90%, and it listed "system interrupts" at the top of the list using the most average CPU power. What does that mean? I'm running Windows 7 Starter with 2GB RAM.
The problem seems to only occur randomly and the only way to resolve it is to reboot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
In computing, an interrupt is an asynchronous signal indicating the need for attention or a synchronous event in software indicating the need for a change in execution.
Interrupt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are different type of interrupts:

http://www.hildrum.com/IRQ.htm

NMI (Non Maskable Interrupt)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-maskable_interrupt

Now, if you want to read something here:

Interrupt :
An interrupt is a signal from a device attached to a computer or from a program within the computer that causes the main program that operates the computer (the operating system) to stop and figure out what to do next. Almost all personal (or larger) computers today are interrupt-driven - that is, they start down the list of computer instructions in one program (perhaps an application such as a word processor) and keep running the instructions until either (A) they can't go any further or (B) an interrupt signal is sensed.

MOD CUT. Copyright Violation. Please read the TOS.

http://www.laynetworks.com/Interrupts%20and%20DMA.htm

Last edited by linicx; 01-17-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
It is strange to see "System Interrupts" listed in task manager. System Interrupts are an event and not processes.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
I suspect that your question is not so much "what" are system interrupts, but what is causing it, how to resolve, is it a problem, etc.

First suggestion is to download sysinternals "process explorer" Process Explorer
You can use this as alternative to Task Manager, or actually replace Task Manager with it if you find it useful. It does show interrupt activity, though I have never seen anything but ocassional activity, and don't recall ever seeing it listed in Task Manager.

Process Explorer provides more details and may help determine what is going on. I would have some suggestions if this were a desktop with different expansion cards installed, but netbooks are a fixed hardware setup Any USB devices connected?

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-17-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It is strange to see "System Interrupts" listed in task manager. System Interrupts are an event and not processes.
Possible malware in disguise?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yes, I agree. This is a possibility.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's my thought, as well.

OP - Check your system for malware - viruses, trojans, etc.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I suspect that your question is not so much "what" are system interrupts, but what is causing it, how to resolve, is it a problem, etc.

First suggestion is to download sysinternals "process explorer" Process Explorer
You can use this as alternative to Task Manager, or actually replace Task Manager with it if you find it useful. It does show interrupt activity, though I have never seen anything but ocassional activity, and don't recall ever seeing it listed in Task Manager.

Process Explorer provides more details and may help determine what is going on. I would have some suggestions if this were a desktop with different expansion cards installed, but netbooks are a fixed hardware setup Any USB devices connected?
Thanks. I downloaded Process Explorer and now I see the issue is related specifically to Deferred Procedure Calls. Any idea what that could be?
Also note, even though this is a netbook, when I'm home I use it with a monitor, USB mouse, and USB keyboard attached. Could any of those be the culprit, and how would I find out? It's odd that I only have this problem randomly every couple of days. Also, I upgraded my RAM from 1GB to 2GB a few weeks ago, although I didn't notice if I was having this problem before upgrading the RAM.

More info: I put the netbook into sleep mode and then immediately woke it back up. The Deferred Procedure Calls problem went away. Removing the USB devices did not solve the problem. Since this problem occurs randomly I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

Last edited by ansky; 01-21-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 59,710 times
Default interupts and ram

I am running systernals and have the same problem
interupts are occupying 13.8% of CPU
Why

Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Shell View Post
I am running systernals and have the same problem
interupts are occupying 13.8% of CPU
Why
What process is associated with the high interrupts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers