Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I set it up utilizing a long password, mixed # & letters. I also set it up WPA2-PSK with the Mac address. Is password what you mean by security key?
You have to be careful that there are two things people commonly call "passwords". One is the password to log into the router's web page and change settings. This is usually set to blank, admin, or password out of the box. You definitely want to change this from the default. The setting is usually under administration settings.

The second password is the wifi security key. This is configured under wireless settings. WPA2-PSK is a type of wireless security and is very strong provided you use a strong password. The longer, the better, when it comes to wifi security keys. But keep in mind you may have to enter this key into something with a terrible keyboard, like an iPhone or a TV so some compromise between security and convenience must be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You are reading information on sites where the articles are written by people that have no idea what they are writing about. They were most likely written by the journalist type (English majors) that needed to fill a column for the week.
Hiya Dij... Based on the contradictions I've found through research, I figured as much. I've found this with non-computer related subjects, as well. Too bad, really. What I find the most frustrating, is people often espouse to being experts. I've met more 'experts' who know less than I do about computers (most working in stores) than I'd care to count.

Quote:
I will say that it is true that a router is most secure when it is turned off simply because it is off and no one can attempt to attack it. However, there are ways to set your router up to be extremely secure. One of the best ways is to use the MAC filtering and only allow the MAC addresses of your devices to connect. The only problem with this is that any time you want to connect another device, you will have to go into the router setup and add the devices MAC to the allowed list. Otherwise you can tighten up the security settings on your router by turning WPS off and use WPA2 and an extremely secure password with both uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters. That makes the password computationally extremely difficult to brute force attack and practically impossible to dictionary attack.
It seems I set it up the most secure way sans knowing... coincidence, I guess, using the MAC address. Also, choosing a long mixed character password should help, as you'd indicated.

Do you turn off your router?

I have a PC & the SO has an Apple... he doesn't need to use wi-fi at home, but would like to, if possible. That's my next project... figuring out how to allow his computer access... I'm sure I can figure it out. Otherwise, my laptop would be the only one needed on the network.

Quote:
Btw, setting the router to not broadcast the SSID doesn't increase security very much. Really all it does is keep someone that doesn't know a whole lot from poking at your router. Anyone that actually knows what they are doing and wants to attack your router will fire up their tools in linux and gain the information from your router through requests. It takes maybe 30 seconds to type the command, send the request and receive the acknowledgment with the information.
Yes, the most recent info I found (2010) stated that techs no longer suggest hiding the SSID, as if someone has set out on a mission to gain access, sniffer programs are readily available.

Quote:
If your router does happen to get to hot, they will usually begin to reboot on their own which will get your attention.
Fair enough. Interestingly, it may be a coincidence, but my computer is faster since connecting it to wifi... not sure why... it's still coming from the cable connection?? In any event, I'll take it.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
MAC address filtering is useless from a security standpoint. Its in the same category as having a non-broadcasting SSID. All it does it frustrate you a year later when you're trying to connect a new device and forgot that you enabled MAC address filtering.
Hi Escape... I already set it up with MAC. I guess I'd have to do a bit of research to see why that connection might be more secure than the 2 others I had the option to choose... but, hopefully, I made the right choice & will be as secure as possible.

Since I don't remember a lot, I've long been in the habit of writing down instructions... left over from my old Cobol programming days in the 1800's... document everything. Hopefully, I'll be okay should I need to add a new device to the network.

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The same is true for MAC address filtering: More headaches, no more security. Don't use it.
Oops, too late, EC. However, I may not need to add anything else to the network, unless I set up the SO's Apple... he doesn't care one way or the other as he has some James Bond thigamajig which he uses in his car to connect to the 'net (he's on the road all day & doesn't really need the 'net at home)... I was going to attempt it just to see if I could manage. However, perhaps best to leave well enough alone. We'll only be in Denver for 9-mos more.

I'm guessing, but if I did screw up something so badly I couldn't connect, couldn't I just reconfigure the router (if that's the right phrase)... I mean, begin again?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Your choice to turn off your router also has to take into account your devices. Smart TV's, cell phones, etc. I have a minimal data plan on my phone, at home it's on my wifi, if I shut the router off I'd be on my data plan again. Plus heating and cooling of electronics is just as bad, if not worse, than keeping it on 24/7

Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You have to be careful that there are two things people commonly call "passwords". One is the password to log into the router's web page and change settings. This is usually set to blank, admin, or password out of the box. You definitely want to change this from the default. The setting is usually under administration settings.
EC, can you tell me where to find out this info? Sorry for the lack of experience, but I wasn't aware I had a router webpage. I went to the manufacturer's website to see if I could find info... I couldn't. I don't even see info on my computer as to where I could access the router settings.

Quote:
But keep in mind you may have to enter this key into something with a terrible keyboard, like an iPhone or a TV so some compromise between security and convenience must be made.
No worries, I'm pretty low-tech... no smartphones 'round these parts.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your choice to turn off your router also has to take into account your devices. Smart TV's, cell phones, etc. I have a minimal data plan on my phone, at home it's on my wifi, if I shut the router off I'd be on my data plan again. Plus heating and cooling of electronics is just as bad, if not worse, than keeping it on 24/7
Thanks NHD. Good info, but, I don't have other devices... I'm rather basic... kind of like if your great-grandmum had access to the Internet.

I had no idea heating & cooling was damaging. I think I'll just keep the router on. This way I won't risk problems with connecting, with which some seemed to have problems.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
EC, can you tell me where to find out this info? Sorry for the lack of experience, but I wasn't aware I had a router webpage. I went to the manufacturer's website to see if I could find info... I couldn't. I don't even see info on my computer as to where I could access the router settings.
Then how did you enable MAC address filtering, set your SSID, and create a WPA key? That is typically done by accessing the router's admin page in a web browser at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Found it under Computer, oops... In the process of changing username & PW now... they were both 'admin', so thank you for pointing this out EC!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Then how did you enable MAC address filtering, set your SSID, and create a WPA key? That is typically done by accessing the router's admin page in a web browser at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.1.
Sorry, I always seem to be 1 post behind you. My router was pretty easy to set up... walked me through everything after I inserted the CD. I didn't go to any webpage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers