Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,199 times

Advertisements

I am confused about this part. I am 19 and my old Toshiba Laptop is not good at all for gaming. Whenever I ask: What is a good gaming computer that can play games and most people say "Just go and build one" the only problem is that I don't know much of comptuers outside of: Gaming, Internet, and word. Most people when sugesting me a new computer tell me to go to newegg.com or some website like that but I don't think my parents would trust a site like that to order something from it. Alineware is too expensive since I want a gaming PC between 500 to 1200$. How do I build one? It looks way to complex and most videos on youtube are about 25 to 1 1/2 hour long videos on how to build one and I don't know the names of most of the parts anyway. What should I do about this? Does anyone know any gaming pcs at Frys or Best buy?
The games I want to play are listed here: Skyrim, The old Republic, Shogun II, Empire total war, Deus Ex: human revolution, League of Legends, and the Mass Effect trilogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Tell your parents that Newegg is okay to order from. I ran a consulting business for 10 years (now retired) and ordered countless items (and I still do for personal use) from them and never had a single problem. The one time I did get a DOA part (RAM module) they replaced it and paid the shipping to do so.

Newegg is a safe place to order.

Here's a quick search for Gaming PC in Newegg. I sorted by best rating.

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops, Desktop PCs, Desktop PCs, Gaming & Entertainment

Keep in mind that if you see something there that interests you it may be available (or something similar) locally.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
I bought my computer off of ubid. All I upgraded was the power supply, and the graphics card and I can play Skyrim on high settings. Best computer I've ever had.

I bought the computer for $309 + $36 shipping - The computer retails for around $600 on amazon, so I got lucky by finding the website. The graphics card was around $170 after taxes, and around $50 for my power supplly. So around a $500 pc that can play Skyrim and modern games .

Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
It looks way to complex and most videos on youtube are about 25 to 1 1/2 hour long videos
If that is too much time to spend researching don't bother. Having said that this is not rocket science and if you want to save some money that's the way to do it. Search either of those sites for barebone kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Most people when sugesting me a new computer tell me to go to newegg.com or some website like that but I don't think my parents would trust a site like that to order something from it.
New Egg or Tiger direct are well established huge companies. If they are concerned about ordering over the internet they have a phone nutmber.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
iBUYPOWER Introducing Erebus Series - Custom Liquid Cooling System

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Newegg is outstanding. I have bought parts for 4 complete computers from them for our business, and have never had problems. They are one of the most reputable computer suppliers in the Country. I have never bought stuff from Tiger Direct personally, but their reputation is right up there with Newegg. Micro Center is another decent choice.

It is generally less expensive to buy the parts, and assemble the computer yourself. If you don't have the know-how to do this, you can ask your friends if they know anyone has done this before. I am sure you can find a computer geek who can help you out for a small fee, or in exchange for a nice dinner.

In short, you will need to purchase:

a case
a power supply (many cases come with a power supply)
a motherboard
a processor (CPU)
RAM (memory)
a hard drive
a graphics card (GPU)
an OEM copy of an operating system (e.g. Windows 7 Home)
a keyboard
a mouse
a monitor

$1200 should be enough to get parts for a very nice computer that will play your games at acceptable settings and frame rates. Given your budget, I would go with an Intel I5 processor, 8mb of RAM, and a graphics card in the $200 range. A 450 watt power supply should be able to handle these components, with extra watts for expansion. This setup probably will not allow you to play the games at "maximum" or "Ultra" settings, but it will make the games very playable. I am a fan of cheap cases, your games will play just as well in a $50 mid-tower case as they will in a $200 case that has lights and other gadgets. Spend your money on the "guts," not the case. As a general rule, I would buy the best components your budget will allow, to make your computer useful for as long as possible. So, if you can afford an I7 processor and a better graphics card, go for it! Your current games will play better, and you will be able to wait longer before you upgrade your components again.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Custom built is the best; you can select the best parts that fit your budget. Tell us, what city do you live in? Like does it have big computer stores like Fry's or MicroCenter or TigerDirect? Sometimes buying locally with internet price matching is better. When I bought 5 2TB hd's for my NAS from MicroCenter for $79 each I thought they were defective because they didn't work with my NAS. I returned a hd twice to MicroCenter before I determined these hds were incompatible.

You also need an OS... Do you like Win 7 or 8?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Custom built is the best; you can select the best parts that fit your budget. Tell us, what city do you live in? Like does it have big computer stores like Fry's or MicroCenter or TigerDirect? Sometimes buying locally with internet price matching is better. When I bought 5 2TB hd's for my NAS from MicroCenter for $79 each I thought they were defective because they didn't work with my NAS. I returned a hd twice to MicroCenter before I determined these hds were incompatible.

You also need an OS... Do you like Win 7 or 8?
I only have windows 7 right now and I have only tried windows 8 in stores. I am unsure as of yet since my little experience between the two. I mostly like Windows 8 though because of the touchscreen.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Building a computer is incredibly easy. Almost every single part is either shape-coded, color-coded, or both. If the colors don't match or you have to force something together, you're doing it wrong. Just put the pieces together and don't discharge any static electricity onto any of them and you're good to go!

Also, Newegg is an extremely reliable and well-respected retailer. Another good one is Mwave.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Building a computer is incredibly easy. Almost every single part is either shape-coded, color-coded, or both. If the colors don't match or you have to force something together, you're doing it wrong. Just put the pieces together and don't discharge any static electricity onto any of them and you're good to go!

Also, Newegg is an extremely reliable and well-respected retailer. Another good one is Mwave.
Agreed. It's a lot easier than it looks. I pretty much taught myself to do it, and have since build nearly a dozen computers. If you can get someone to walk you through it this time, you will have no problem upgrading components later on, and building an entirely new system later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers