Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,816 times

Advertisements

Can You Run IPhone / Ipod Touch Apps On A Windows Based PC? I have a netbook that runs Windows 7 Starter Edition and I'd like to run some educational applications on my PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,866,474 times
In a word, no.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:42 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,816 times
Is there a Windows-based Iphone emulator that allows you to do so?

Old 01-31-2010, 05:28 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,866,474 times
No. Well, if you are a developer, there are iPhone simulators for Windows, similar to that which Apple provides in the iPhone SDK, but those are for testing your own apps, not apps you download from the app store. That would require you to deal with the app store DRM, which I don't believe any of the simulators deal with. I think they're just tools (or hacks) for developers.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 77,904 times
Windows 7 Pro has a Virtual PC built-in. I was able to create a virtual Windows XP computer inside my Windows 7 OS. Did I just blow your mind?! Anyways, I got the impression that you can create multiple virtual PCs inside Win7 and install other operating systems. It should be possible to create a virtual PC with iOS installed... that is, if one could purchase the iOS separately (on CD maybe).

Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 77,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
No. Well, if you are a developer, there are iPhone simulators for Windows, similar to that which Apple provides in the iPhone SDK, but...
So the iOS is only installed at the company. There must be someone at the company who can provide it. My tablet's virtual PC can handle any operating system including Mac and Linux. If I could just find the iOS then I can install it here.

So a follow-up question would be, Does Apple provide the same iPad apps for their Mac computers?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 61,650 times
Wow, NO you cannot run iOS on a Mac OR a PC .. in short, iOS is not intel based .. Mac has an iOS simulator, yes but it's not the same... when you write an app for the simulator it compiles it for intel so you can test it .. when you publish to the iTunes store it compiles it for the ARM based processors that power the iOS devices ..

If you want to run iOS on a PC you have to do the following:

1. Emulate the ARM processor
2. Emulate the chipset on the iOS device
3. Emulate the various sensors on the iOS device
4. Figure out how to decrypt the operating system and install it on your virtual device
5. Emulate the boot rom

#1 is already done.. ARM is a common processor architecture.. 2 and 3 are huge HUGE challenges, good luck! .. #4 is done.. sort of .. the OS has been decrypted ( enables jailbreaking ) .. 5 hasn't been done ..

Now if by some chance someone manages to accomplish these feats.. the heavy emulation will probably be buggy and slow even on a beefy system because of all of the emulation layers that have to be done.. Nobody is even trying because it's just too difficult to pull off.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,440,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myangeldust View Post
Does Apple provide the same iPad apps for their Mac computers?
No.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 61,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
No.
.... in some cases, sort of .. but not often.. Angry Birds can be found in the mac app store for example and it's the same exact app.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,440,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
.... in some cases, sort of .. but not often.. Angry Birds can be found in the mac app store for example and it's the same exact app.
You can get angry birds in your chrome browser also.....but being able to go into the iOS app store and downloading them somehow to their PC/Mac isn't possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers