Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:47 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

I know we cannot compare brands here so I'll simply ask if anyone here has experience with a Dell laptop? If so what has it been?

I've been 100 % brand loyal to a different company since the mid 90s. Part was brand loyalty as I trusted the brand to do what I needed. Part was I need a specific size of laptop and that company always made the size I needed (14 in). I'm also careful with my laptops but use them a lot. I think this is my 6th one to die since the mid 90s strictly due to work.

I am not a fan of Windows 8 and or the new release. The computer repair person knows that about me. He offered to order me a Dell 14" Pro with Windows 7. If you don't know, the way the computer repair folks have been able to change 8 back to 7 is when it's the Pro.

Interestingly, about 3 companies are now offering Windows 7 Pro on new computers, including the maker of all of my previous laptops. However, the reviews have been horrible and I really don't understand why.

I've read the specs on many. The Dell has what I need, except two things. One of those is my inexperience with a Dell. Any info you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to message me if you prefer.

I cannot opt for a larger screen/laptop.....There is no negotiation about that fact.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help.

msr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
I've dealt with a Dell desktop at work, never have been a fan. Might just be me though...

Old 12-08-2013, 09:08 AM

385 posts, read 526,597 times
My past two laptops have been Dell. Had my last one for about two years -- just enough time for the warranty to expire -- and the motherboard fried about 3 weeks ago. Decided to give Lenovo a try. I really like it so far. No bells and whistles, just a hard-working machine. Bought it from the lenovo outlet website and got a screaming hot deal

Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Dell computers probably aren't better or worse than any other brand. My experience with Dell "customer service" has been just awful. Seems that for the last few years they are almost solely interested in selling you new things as oposed to fixing what you have.

The last few calls to "customer service" were anything BUT. You might just as well call the sales department; they appear to be one in the same.

I will never buy another Dell. Ever.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
I have a Dell Latitude D850, and used a D650 for work for years.
My company has some sort of deal with Dell to supply all out laptops. We just went through a refresh.
The new one (Latitude 6420 ) I have now has been without fault for the last year.

Dell service has also been good, so far, when needed.
I have no complaints.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Default I Doubt It

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I've dealt with a Dell desktop at work, never have been a fan. Might just be me though...
CM, Your experiences reflect many I've heard. I wouldn't be posting if I wanted to go this route

Thanks

msr

Old 12-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Default Do They Make a 14" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
My past two laptops have been Dell. Had my last one for about two years -- just enough time for the warranty to expire -- and the motherboard fried about 3 weeks ago. Decided to give Lenovo a try. I really like it so far. No bells and whistles, just a hard-working machine. Bought it from the lenovo outlet website and got a screaming hot deal
tmp4, I had a feeling when I posted this that you would know about Dells. WTG

I actually had to use a Leno.vo last spring. I will have to check their website to see if they are making 14" with Windows Pro 7 as I didn't think they made anything smaller than the 15.7". I think you accurately portray this brand. I struggled with it given the larger size and some keyboard issues. It had a great sound system though

Thanks for your thoughts.....btw, did your Dells die or did you do something else with them?

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-08-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Dell computers probably aren't better or worse than any other brand. My experience with Dell "customer service" has been just awful. Seems that for the last few years they are almost solely interested in selling you new things as oposed to fixing what you have.

The last few calls to "customer service" were anything BUT. You might just as well call the sales department; they appear to be one in the same.

I will never buy another Dell. Ever.
Thanks, Joan. Good to know. I don't think I've ever needed to call Customer Service on my brand. If I did it was painless enough I've forgotten .

I appreciate your tips.

MSR

Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I have a Dell Latitude D850, and used a D650 for work for years.
My company has some sort of deal with Dell to supply all out laptops. We just went through a refresh.
The new one (Latitude 6420 ) I have now has been without fault for the last year.

Dell service has also been good, so far, when needed.
I have no complaints.
Thanks, LarsMac. It looks like your D 850 is XP. There are a limited amount of upgrades XP can do.

I checked out the Latitude (not the model suggested for me). I was happy to see 14 " and Windows 7. I'll have to compare some other things.

Thanks for your help

MSR

Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks, LarsMac. It looks like your D 850 is XP. There are a limited amount of upgrades XP can do.

I checked out the Latitude (not the model suggested for me). I was happy to see 14 " and Windows 7. I'll have to compare some other things.

Thanks for your help

MSR
Actually, my D 850 is running Win 7
The D 650 was (according to our IT group) unable to run Win 7, but the 850 seems to handle it fairly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers