Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 PM

20 posts, read 31,894 times

Advertisements

What do you think? In my gaming build, I have a 128GB SSD and the OS boots in 10-15 seconds compared to 20 seconds with a normal HDD. Also, programs such as MS Office and Photoshop open up like 40% faster. I might take another SSD from the shelf in my store. But really, is the extra performance power worth the extra cost??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
For my purposes, I'm much more concerned with reliability than speed. I have backups up the wazoo, but I don't want to mess with having to do restores - I want my computers, especially my production systems, to just work, for as long as I need them to, with as little maintenance as possible.

I've used two SSDs. The first was the boot drive in my HTPC. Died in about 18 months, replaced with a standard drive. The second is in our PBX system, which is built on the fit-PC2i platform. I chose an SSD there to limit power consumption and heat. So far, so good, but I wouldn't have used it if I couldn't do a bare metal reinstall in a couple of hours.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 PM

20 posts, read 31,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
For my purposes, I'm much more concerned with reliability than speed. I have backups up the wazoo, but I don't want to mess with having to do restores - I want my computers, especially my production systems, to just work, for as long as I need them to, with as little maintenance as possible.

I've used two SSDs. The first was the boot drive in my HTPC. Died in about 18 months, replaced with a standard drive. The second is in our PBX system, which is built on the fit-PC2i platform. I chose an SSD there to limit power consumption and heat. So far, so good, but I wouldn't have used it if I couldn't do a bare metal reinstall in a couple of hours.
The newer solid-sate-drivers are acually much more reliable than the old ones...at least the Samsung 840EVO is. Anyways, I have a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD on my gaming build.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
It's going to depend from person to person.

For me, it's absolutely worth the cost. At most, it adds a few hundred dollars to a grand (extreme) to a computer.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
As a strictly boot drive where OS files will be installed but no data, absolutely worth it!

I agree, SSDs have become much more reliable but I'd still not store valuable data on one long term.
If you are doing daily backups, then it should be fine otherwise get another traditional drive to store the data in.

From what I have seen, read speed of SSD drives are amazing, write speed, not as much.

Here is the hard drive configuration of my last PC built:
- 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 series as my boot drive (OS + apps)
- 600GB WD VelociRaptor SATA III 10K RPM is where all my data and games are.

I am very happy with the performance and also if OS crapped out, I could just re-image the C drive and re-install the apps. Even if I had to re-install the games or Steam, I know that the actual game data is safe on the D (WD) drive. Then I run a backup to a 1TB WD Caviar drive which has all irreplaceable data from both drives.

That said, for those who use their machine for web browsing, e-mails, occasional video/music streaming, the above might be an overkill.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGamer12345 View Post
What do you think? In my gaming build, I have a 128GB SSD and the OS boots in 10-15 seconds compared to 20 seconds with a normal HDD. Also, programs such as MS Office and Photoshop open up like 40% faster. I might take another SSD from the shelf in my store. But really, is the extra performance power worth the extra cost??
All our PC's have been solid state since early 2010, and we've never looked back. We have about 7 PC's and 2 are laptops. If you game or edit much with photos, you'll notice much faster loads. If you visit websites, and stream, it won't make much difference. It depends on how much you have loaded into your system at boot (bloatware?) and how you use it.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,833 times
Quote:
Show me a normal hard drive based computer that can fully boot into windows in 20 seconds and I will eat this keyboard.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:08 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Show me a normal hard drive based computer that can fully boot into windows in 20 seconds and I will eat this keyboard.
We all know you have one of those Sweet S'mores keyboards, and just looking for an excuse to eat it!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
We all know you have one of those Sweet S'mores keyboards, and just looking for an excuse to eat it!
SHHHHHHHH

Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
I do not understand why you are asking this. You and you alone know what your budget it is. You and you alone know how much it matters to you how fast programs load with your SSD and that it is faster than with a conventional HDD.

But I will answer anyway. For me it is well worth it because I don't like waiting for a PC to boot up and I like programs to load quickly. Somebody else will turn on their PC in the morning, go get a cup of coffee, come back to the PC and check their e-mail and they can barely pay their rent so they have much more important things in their meager budget than fast PC boot up and program load times.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers