Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,443 times

Advertisements

I simply turn off the monitor when I'm not going to use my PC. Not sure? Read the piece @ A third of people believe screen savers cut PC energy use - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
They're not and never have been for saving power. That's why they're not called "energy savers." They're called "SCREEN savers" because if you leave the same image on a monitor for long enough, it will become "burned in" to the display, and there will always be a ghost of that image visible, even if there's a different image being displayed. It affects CRT monitors the most, although it can also affect LCD displays. Don't know if LED displays are susceptible.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I simply turn off the monitor when I'm not going to use my PC. Not sure? Read the piece @ A third of people believe screen savers cut PC energy use - Telegraph
Mine goes into sleep mode after ten minutes, sleep mode for whole computer after 15.

Old monitors that did not have these features or were displaying the same thing constantly as Swagger mentioned would get whatever was being displayed burned into the display. Find an old arcade game and the thing can be off and you can see it. I can remember this being an issue going back to the Atari's which had very little movement on the screen and kids would be playing them for days on end, "Combat" for example.

Pac Man Screen:

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
A 3d of people are idiots.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
I remember those 3D pipes would actually consume more CPU power and heat.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM

82 posts, read 138,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They're not and never have been for saving power. That's why they're not called "energy savers." They're called "SCREEN savers" because if you leave the same image on a monitor for long enough, it will become "burned in" to the display, and there will always be a ghost of that image visible, even if there's a different image being displayed. It affects CRT monitors the most, although it can also affect LCD displays. Don't know if LED displays are susceptible.
An LED display for TV or a computer monitor is an LCD display. They get called an LED display because the back lighting for the displays uses white LED lights. A typical LCD display uses white florescent tubes for back lighting. So a modern LED would have the same problems with burn-in that a modern LCD display would have.

However the very large stadium "Jumbotron" LED displays are colored LED lights and have nothing to do with LCD technology.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
An LED display for TV or a computer monitor is an LCD display. They get called an LED display because the back lighting for the displays uses white LED lights. A typical LCD display uses white florescent tubes for back lighting. So a modern LED would have the same problems with burn-in that a modern LCD display would have.

However the very large stadium "Jumbotron" LED displays are colored LED lights and have nothing to do with LCD technology.
Most of what I have read about LCDs say that the burn in is not the same as the old CRTs. They can get what is called transient image persistence or retention which is similar but can be made to go away by not using the display for a while.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Most of what I have read about LCDs say that the burn in is not the same as the old CRTs. They can get what is called transient image persistence or retention which is similar but can be made to go away by not using the display for a while.
I've only had one lCD with an image burn (a very old model), and it had some lines that matched dark portions of the desktop image on it. I was able to run a solid white screen saver on it continually for a few weeks, and it mostly went away.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A 3d of people are idiots.
You are an optimist, which is what I like the most about you!

Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Screen Savers Don't Save $, I'm curious as to why this is worth a post, who claimed they saved money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers