Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM

398 posts, read 746,586 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-

I recently started a new position at an IT company (I'm NOT a tech person lol) and as part of my role, I am responsible in hiring of Developer roles so with hiring as you can imagine, there's A LOT that goes into it, specifically administering technical tests to these candidates.
The program is new so I'm pretty much running it from the ground up.
For our developer roles- we look for people with knowledge of CSS3, .NET, Java, OR HTML5.

Keyword: OR!

Now my question is- if I am administering a test to a CSS3 guy, could he answer questions in the other languages? Or testing a Java guy on CSS3.. and so on! Are these interrelated???
How are these different?

Just looking for a very high-level answer so I can understand this better! I have asked some managers/mentors but they know are super techy guys and I just get lost the more I ask, haha.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 02:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
It depends .....

CSS3 and HTML5 are used extensively in web site creation, but depending upon your company you may not have the same people using both (they do require at least a basic understanding of each other).

JavaScript (not Java) is related to CSS3 and HTML5.

Java (not JavaScript), shouldn't require any CSS or HTML knowledge (Java is generally used for building programs or mobile apps, not web sites).

.NET is very nebulous, and can mean a bunch of different things. The very generic term .NET covers a framework, several development languages, and a bunch of different technology (desktop programs, services, web sites, mobile, embedded technology, etc).

VB.NET and C# (C Sharp) are the two most popular development languages used in .NET.

If it's "ASP.NET" then it's related to building web sites, and gets lumped in with the CSS3, HTML5, JavaScript group. This could be using either the C# or VB.NET development languages.

If it's C# or VB.NET for another platform (desktop or server programs usually) then the other skills probably don't matter much.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It depends .....

CSS3 and HTML5 are used extensively in web site creation, but depending upon your company you may not have the same people using both (they do require at least a basic understanding of each other).

JavaScript (not Java) is related to CSS3 and HTML5.

Java (not JavaScript), shouldn't require any CSS or HTML knowledge (Java is generally used for building programs or mobile apps, not web sites).

.NET is very nebulous, and can mean a bunch of different things. The very generic term .NET covers a framework, several development languages, and a bunch of different technology (desktop programs, services, web sites, mobile, embedded technology, etc).

VB.NET and C# (C Sharp) are the two most popular development languages used in .NET.

If it's "ASP.NET" then it's related to building web sites, and gets lumped in with the CSS3, HTML5, JavaScript group. This could be using either the C# or VB.NET development languages.

If it's C# or VB.NET for another platform (desktop or server programs usually) then the other skills probably don't matter much.
OMG thanks! HUGE HELP! You really have to be programmed a certain way to understand all this tech jargon!!! Hahaha.

I'll be back if I can think of more confusions!!!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM

Hi ALL! Another confusion!!

I am trying to come up with a training program for the candidates. Pretty much bringing these Developers that has a basic/intermediate understanding of JAVA or .NET(college level) to a more intermediate/advance level.

These are two different routes that they can take, and would need different training, correct?

I am currently doing research on outsourcing training companies and they gave me a proposal for the JAVA curriculum only.
"5 courses for Java, as well as 4 courses for C# (.NET) and 1 for HTML5 development (which would apply to Java or C# developers)."

Wouldn't the 4 courses for C# apply only to .NET guys?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post

I am trying to come up with a training program for the candidates. Pretty much bringing these Developers that has a basic/intermediate understanding of JAVA or .NET(college level) to a more intermediate/advance level.

These are two different routes that they can take, and would need different training, correct?

I am currently doing research on outsourcing training companies and they gave me a proposal for the JAVA curriculum only.
"5 courses for Java, as well as 4 courses for C# (.NET) and 1 for HTML5 development (which would apply to Java or C# developers)."

Yep, those would only cover .NET.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Poppa View Post
How did you get hired as an IT hiring manager if you don't even know the difference between CSS3 and Java?

I would only test him in HTML5 since that will supplant JavaScript and CSS in a few years anyway.
There's no chance of HTML5 replacing javascript. They will complement each other for years and years to come. Even if they seperate, javascript is not going anywhere as it has a lot of use on the backend.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:

Not to get off the topic of this thread but if you are going to put people through training I suggest you have them sign an employment contract first.

We hired a couple of people, got them trained and certified as DBA's and they promptly quit for better paying jobs...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:

I am trying to come up with a training program for the candidates. Pretty much bringing these Developers that has a basic/intermediate understanding of JAVA or .NET(college level) to a more intermediate/advance level....
More training may or may not help. What really gets developers to a more advanced level is actually doing work in a programming language. Making tons of mistakes/workarounds/brilliant breakthroughs, etc..

Just sayin' ...

Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's no chance of HTML5 replacing javascript. They will complement each other for years and years to come. Even if they seperate, javascript is not going anywhere as it has a lot of use on the backend.
Where did quote Mad-Poppa's reply? I don't see it

Reply to Mad-Poppa: You are wrong, I'm not an IT hiring manager. They hired me for my HR background, to come in and build the program; more of a consultant role. I take no part in the technical aspect of the hiring, THAT'S for the actual IT managers. The only hiring aspect I do is the HR interview.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Yep, those would only cover .NET.
Thank you! From now on, I am only going to PM you if I have a question, is that alright?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers