Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Hey tek, good to see you again.
Thanks. Sort of a temporary drop in because we are "camping" in our new house in Las Vegas. No TV and limited Internet. I need something to pass the time. Heading back to our current house tomorrow to get it ready to sell so I won't be around much again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
You want to talk about idiotic keyboard layouts? Then I've got one for you...

It was the late 1990's and I was doing a co-op job while in college at a local DoD contractor. Back then, they all had workstations running various flavors of Unix for the big engineering tools. Well, the Sun workstations took the cake. Aside from running an inferior UNIX GUI when compared to the HP workstations, they also placed a power button on the keyboard... next to the Delete key. Yes, this meant that if your fingers missed the Delete key while typing quickly, you could hit the power button and turn the computer off. It was beyond stupid and one of the worst examples of failed user interfaces I've ever seen in the computer world.
Fun fact - Apple's MacBook Airs have a power key right above the delete (backspace) key, and in 10.9 they made it so that pressing that key instantly put the computer to sleep. Combine that with a bug where if you hit a key before it completely goes to sleep, it hangs up, the screen stays black, and you have to power off the computer, and it made for a maddening experience. Fortunately they finally fixed that behavior so you have to hold it down for a second in order to get it to go to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers