Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 PM

10,094 posts, read 7,763,936 times

Advertisements

I have an Ipod that someone gave me years ago for Christmas. I have kept the same music on there for years because I cant' figure out Itunes. It's not user friendly at all and does nothing but frustrate me. Evidently I did it once years ago but forgot.

I am now wanting to update my music and have MP3s already downloaded on my PC and ready to add to Ipod. These MP3s weren't purchased thru Itunes but I've owned them forever and even have them on my phone.

Is there anyway to just dump them in my "Music" app on Ipod without messing with Itunes?

I tried hooking the Ipod to my computer hoping that I could open up the device and see my files within the Ipod so I could perhaps drag my MP3s into the music app/folder where I wanted but there is no place and no files are appearing in the actual device.

Why is this so difficult? One would think with the way people rave about Apple products that this would be easier. Itunes has always turned me off of Apple Products.

Thanks for any help. I've been messing with this for hours and I give up.

ETA: Never mind. I think I finally got it. I put all songs in a playlist in the library, then selected all of them and dragged them to the right and my Ipod pops up and I'm able to drag them into that and the files show up in my Music App. Wow, surely not user friendly....just hit and miss and lots of eliminating this and that. I HATE anything APPLE!!!

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-14-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
This article explains how to do it with other third-party software.

How to Ditch iTunes Forever and Keep Syncing Your iOS Devices

Contrary to your notion that this is some conspiracy on Apple's part to force everyone to use iTunes, Apple doesn't enable file transfer directly to iDevices because the music industry doesn't want it to be enabled directly. Apple needs to bend to the wishes of the music industry, since it depends on its products for the iTunes Store.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
I have an iPod, but I haven't updated it for several months, so if something has changed recently, I don't know about it. As far as I know, though, you're going to have to load the music onto your PC, then go to your iTunes account and have it converted there so that it shows up in your iTunes library, and then you can sync that with your iPod. Be careful to make sure anything already on the iPod that you want to keep is also in your library because as I recall, it will only sync what is in the library.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
Oh, cool! Thanks, Bo, for the info on the third-party software!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:18 PM

10,094 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Thanks everyone so much for the quick responses. I finally got it to work. Dragged songs into a playlist on Itunes then plugged in my Ipod into the computer and dragged all songs to the right and lo and behold my Ipod icon shows up and I just dump them in. Wow...so not user friendly.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
When I put stuff on my iPhone, I drag it to iTunes and it syncs right over. Couldn't be easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers