Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times

Advertisements

This problem occurred only today, for the first time. All websites that were inaccessible are on the Yahoo domain, or owned by Yahoo. However, they were all accessible through my smartphone which connects to the same wireless router as the three laptops.

Flushing DNS did not work. Therefore, I manually entered an OpenDNS address on one laptop and that solved the problem for that laptop.

So my question is - what is going on? Is the issue with:
- all three laptops (unlikely)
- the router (but why did the phone work?)
- the ISP (why did the phone work? 3G was turned off to be sure)
- the websites (but they worked through the phone and when DNS was changed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
One thought -- are the three laptops protected by the same antivirus software? Just thinking that there was something the software didn't like, but the phone didn't mind. Perhaps Yahoo-owned sites had been tweaked in some way "foreign" to your antivirus software and were not necessarily blocked, but stalled.

By chance did you ping the sites?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Yahoo does tend to trigger red flags for security software. I would agree with mawipafl on that.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yahoo does tend to trigger red flags for security software. I would agree with mawipafl on that.
I think part of it has to do with advertisers' ads and the way they're animated. I still use AOL software (no laughing please!), and occasionally the animated ads at the bottom of my inbox screen start generating new tabs. The advertisers who buy that space are ever changing which is why on one day I have no issues, but on the next I end up with a gazillion tabs. I'm sure AVAST doesn't like it, but it sees that such activity has permission.

I believe hang-ups also happen because of tracking cookies, some of which antivirus or malware programs won't allow. It's very unsettling that I'll be googling a particular product, and the next day, miscellaneous ads for that product start showing up on the ad side of different websites I'm surfing.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:44 PM

260 posts, read 326,343 times
Dude, I don't know about OpenDSN. But if I can't get a site on my computers but can get a mobile site that my cell phone connect to, that could mean that the web site is down on their end. Mobile site that smartphone uses is different from the site that your PC uses. In the case of large volume sites are on different servers.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
- the websites (but they worked through the phone and when DNS was changed)
You don't say what DNS you were using before you switched DNS providers. The issue is with the record at the previous DNS provider. If it's your ISP's DNS that's the culprit, report the issue to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers