Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Personally I refuse to use a wireless keyboard or mouse, they never move from my desk so why introduce the battery cost or failure points.
I used to think the same way. But back in Feb. I purchased a new PC that came with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Here we are 10 months later and I have never had to replace the battery in either device, and have never had a single problem. I have to say I would never go back to wired devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,056,566 times
I recently bought an Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS motherboard precisely because it does have PS/2, LPT, and Com ports.

I use a Unicomp Keyboard (expensive but worth it) and a Logitech wheel mouse plugged into the mouse port with an adapter. The keyboard and mouse never have any quirks. I do have a few USB flash drives. The printer is USB capable, but I do not see any advantages over using the LPT port. The scanner requires a SCSI card. From what I have read, scanning is bottle necked by the scanner, not the interface. MY HP 6100 Cse was exceptionally fast for its day.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
PS2 is a dead interface in the consumer market. Personally I refuse to use a wireless keyboard or mouse, they never move from my desk so why introduce the battery cost or failure points.
Because it's nice not having cables running around.

Some people will argue about anything. No computer released in the last few years has PS\2 ports. It is dead.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
I must be missing it, I see no mention of PS2 in the description, and as you'll note I said rare, not non existent.
You are missing it. Take a look at photos of that model at Newegg.

And you said:

Quote:
Read my post again, then find me a new consumer PC that has PS2 ports
I did just that. Also, many many enthusiast motherboards have PS2 ports. It's far from dead.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because it's nice not having cables running around.

Some people will argue about anything. No computer released in the last few years has PS\2 ports. It is dead.
Read the thread. I've already linked to a computer that came out just a few months ago that has PS2 ports.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You are missing it. Take a look at photos of that model at Newegg.
You mean this? The one that doesn't even have pictures of the back? And comes with USB Mouse and Keyboard? That's what you are referring to?

Gateway DX4885-UR1C Desktop PC Intel Core i5 4440 (3.10GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 8.1 - Newegg.com

Quote:
I did just that. Also, many many enthusiast motherboards have PS2 ports. It's far from dead.
"Enthiusiast Mobo's" will always be the last to get rid of DEAD technology.

From 2008:
http://www.cnet.com/news/top-ten-obsolete-ports/

tl;dc (too long; didn't click)
If you've ever used a keyboard or a mouse, we'll wager at some point you've dealt with PS/2 connections. The PS/2 itself took over from the delightful DIN socket, which had previously been the port of choice for keyboards. The best thing about PS/2 was its relative compactness.

PS/2 does present a slight problem, namely, how do you plug the keyboard into the keyboard socket and the mouse into the mouse socket? Of course, we hear you shout, "they're colour coded" -- but what use is colour when you're grovelling around underneath a desk at 8:30 at night trying desperately to make the mouse point and the keyboard type?

Sadly, PS/2 was yet another victim of USB, which doesn't care what you plug into it, the electrical ****.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You mean this? The one that doesn't even have pictures of the back? And comes with USB Mouse and Keyboard? That's what you are referring to?

Gateway DX4885-UR1C Desktop PC Intel Core i5 4440 (3.10GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 8.1 - Newegg.com

Yes, that... and it sure does have pictures of the back.... clear as day.

And those motherboards are used in several computer models...

Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM

oYEA... Never knew you could click the little dots.

Several. Out of hundreds. It's dead Jim.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
oYEA... Never knew you could click the little dots.

Several. Out of hundreds. It's dead Jim.
Lenovo ThinkCentres also have them. To say...

Quote:
No computer released in the last few years has PS\2 ports..
... is quite inaccurate.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:

From 2008:
Top ten obsolete ports - CNET

tl;dc (too long; didn't click)
If you've ever used a keyboard or a mouse, we'll wager at some point you've dealt with PS/2 connections. The PS/2 itself took over from the delightful DIN socket, which had previously been the port of choice for keyboards. The best thing about PS/2 was its relative compactness.

PS/2 does present a slight problem, namely, how do you plug the keyboard into the keyboard socket and the mouse into the mouse socket? Of course, we hear you shout, "they're colour coded" -- but what use is colour when you're grovelling around underneath a desk at 8:30 at night trying desperately to make the mouse point and the keyboard type?

Sadly, PS/2 was yet another victim of USB, which doesn't care what you plug into it, the electrical ****.
If one doesn't have the common sense to use a flashlight then they need not be touching computers. Hell, it's a feature on many smartphones.
Dead technology is something you can't find at all. Just because the masses don't use it doesn't mean it's dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers