Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times

Advertisements

Use wordpress with a membership plugin that allows for restricted content based on member type. Customize the theme too look unique. Problem solved at a minimum cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,337 times
Well, I googled "how much do good web developers cost" and these web pages came up. It's surprising how much websites cost, and how much add ons cost too. Also check out that web page on web developer's salaries - it would be better to hire a Filipino web designer.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:54 AM

Well, I googled "how much do good web developers cost" and these web pages came up. It's surprising how much websites cost, and how much add ons cost too. Also check out that web page on web developer's salaries - it would be better to hire a Filipino web designer.

How Much Does It Cost To Build A Website In 2014?

How Much Does A Website Cost? - Forbes

What Does a Website Cost? Clear Pricing Breakdown

Salaries of Web Developers and Web Designers Around The World | Staff.com Blog

Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 AM

86 posts, read 86,980 times
Good luck on your decision.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Skunk Workz has it right - great post.

Do you want to develop backend CMS from scratch and monetize it? If so, think thousands if not hundreds of thousands unless you can learn to do it yourself. If it's the latter you're considering then think in hours; not only will you need to learn multiple programing languages, you'll also need to invest hundreds of hours building, testing, designing and debugging. You'll also probably have to higher a designer to help you make it look good.

Comparatively, A better more cost effective option would be to use a CMS like WordPress, with a nice customizeable theme and then use plugins (membership and bb press for forums). As many of those articles mentioned, its hard to estimate how much a website will cost because of all the factors involved. If you want to hire a designer or a developer from overseas then great. Just understand that first, designers and developers are not the same. Second, just because someone has the technical skills to be a web designer, that doesn't meant they have an eye for design. Finally, if you outsource providing clear and concise communication and guidance will be critical.

I know you mentioned you're a budding web designer but if you had to take down a WP site due to spam then it sounds like you have a long way to go. I'm not trying to poo-poo your idea, just trying to be realistic. Try to frame this project like any home improvement project.

You can DIY but you'll be investing lots of time, some money and sacrifice quality. The worst part is, you probably wont see how shoddy it really looks because you poured your heart into it.

Alternatively, you can hire a professional and spend more money, a little time, and get a site that holds up for years to come and looks great.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:23 PM

My WordPress site was getting to much automatic and human spam. If there is a way to use Captchas to prevent WordPress automatic spam then that would have helped a lot. But then humans are hired to spam content too. Mainly, I took down my WordPress site because my brother grabbed all my bikes and put them into storage.

Actually, I do prefer DIY but I don't have the artistic talent and creatively to create beautiful artistic websites. I could hire some to code the prototype website and then I would have the knowledge to modify the code.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Akismet will stop WP spam almost 100%

Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
It's a tough spot to be in. Right now, the easiest-to-setup CMS's, while robust, are on older platforms that aren't worth the time for a new business to invest in. The modern platforms are more expensive to operate because, while just as robust, aren't as polished in terms of being easy to set up... and obtaining the people to do so is costly due to the demand.

Every time someone asks what CMS to go with, I'm in this dilemma. Do I suggest WP or Drupal because they are easy to set up and will have little upfront cost... even though PHP is not worth investing in? Or do I suggest a Keystone or Hatch because they're on a modern platform and a better investment going forward? Depending on the client, the answer is different.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's a tough spot to be in. Right now, the easiest-to-setup CMS's, while robust, are on older platforms that aren't worth the time for a new business to invest in. The modern platforms are more expensive to operate because, while just as robust, aren't as polished in terms of being easy to set up... and obtaining the people to do so is costly due to the demand.

Every time someone asks what CMS to go with, I'm in this dilemma. Do I suggest WP or Drupal because they are easy to set up and will have little upfront cost... even though PHP is not worth investing in? Or do I suggest a Keystone or Hatch because they're on a modern platform and a better investment going forward? Depending on the client, the answer is different.
Tried to rep you and JasonF, but no go.

I'd like to pick your brain - Care to expand on this? Specifically, Wordpress vs Keystone?

We're reviewing Keystone as a CMS (built on node.js). They have traction, with several big corporations using it. While they seem to be pretty good, they're still not where Wordpress is, in terms of use on the web. Why do you think Keystone is a better investment?

Wordpress has roughly 60% of the CMS based websites. And tons of very useful plugins. So easy to use, for developers as well as non-technical people. Tested and proven.

Would like your opinion on this : "For established companies, go with Wordpress. For new companies, it's worth investing in Keystone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers