Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Am I missing something here?I am seriously considering returning this, I have up to 14 or 15 days.
Yeah, a lot actually.

I'm not Machead or Apple Devotee but I use an integrated Mac system from phone, tablet, two desktops, and a laptop. Yeah there are things that bug me but....

If there is an Apple store within reasonable distance... GO! They will sit you down and run you through every byte of the OS, and fix anything that ails your machine and even stuff that isn't broke but will make your machines work better for you.

Again, I'm not a Machead and find the Apple Store and their employees insipid, but the stuff works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
PS - Did you go into setting and set the sensitivity of your mouse pad?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201726

Old 04-11-2015, 01:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
PS - Did you go into setting and set the sensitivity of your mouse pad?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201726
Hey, yeah I did that. Thank you for the tips. The mouse pad I have on the new laptop that I just got today is working just peachy, so perhaps there was a defect with the mac.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Too late for the OP, but if anyone else is having so much trouble transitioning from PC to MacBook, try plugging in a wireless mouse. My wife started learning how to use our PC a few years back and still struggles with it. She recently started using my MacBook Pro when the PC went on the fritz. I had a wireless mouse for a PC laptop that went on the fritz about the same time, and plugged it into the MacBook. My wife had no trouble making the transition. Believe me, if she can do it anybody can. It's amazing how much it makes it work like a PC without all the bloatware that plagues PCs. The most difficult change was looking at the opposite side of the page for the -,[], x buttons.

OP, after a few months of web surfing with your new Dell, it will start slowing down, because of all the junk that web sites store on your computer. I have had the MacBook for a couple years now and haven't noticed any slowdown.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I bought an 11" Mac Air about 6 months ago as my travel and outside laptop. I had been using a tablet and a Chromebook, but I wasn't thrilled with the tablet as anything other than a toy and the Chromebook is really an internet appliance (that the spouse has more use for than I do - it lives out in his shop and powers his music plus he uses it to access drawings and designs).

I ordered it directly off Apple's website and had zero problems with the order, plus I was able to configure it for more memory. I don't live anywhere near an Apple store and I find the whole "Apple store experience" somewhat annoying anyway. Although compared to, say, the Best Buy laptop buying experience, I will say that the Apple store salespeople - when you can actually get an appointment with one - understand their product far better.

I like the light weight, the sleek design, lit keyboard but since I am on my Win 7 desktop 90% of the time, haven't invested a lot of time into switching my "user head space" around entirely from Win 7 to Mac. Although I have an Ipod (several of them in fact) for music, my phone is still Android, so I sort of straddle my OS. What I don't like is having to carry around an external DVD drive plus a USB hub for peripherals plus an ethernet to USB connector - and I understand the new Macbook designs have even fewer ports.

The trackpad did take quite a bit of adjustment, even after fiddling with the settings to suit me. There was a bit of a learning curve, especially with 10-15 years of prior experience with trackpads that worked the same way.

When this desktop finally dies (or gets so old that various bits are obsolete and can't be upgraded, which I am guessing is only a year or two away) I will make the decision on whether I will go all the way over to Apple's systems or just keep the Mac Air as my single outlier - it really all depends on what I think of Microsoft's OS at the time.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I bought an 11" Mac Air about 6 months ago as my travel and outside laptop. I had been using a tablet and a Chromebook, but I wasn't thrilled with the tablet as anything other than a toy and the Chromebook is really an internet appliance (that the spouse has more use for than I do - it lives out in his shop and powers his music plus he uses it to access drawings and designs).

I ordered it directly off Apple's website and had zero problems with the order, plus I was able to configure it for more memory. I don't live anywhere near an Apple store and I find the whole "Apple store experience" somewhat annoying anyway. Although compared to, say, the Best Buy laptop buying experience, I will say that the Apple store salespeople - when you can actually get an appointment with one - understand their product far better.

I like the light weight, the sleek design, lit keyboard but since I am on my Win 7 desktop 90% of the time, haven't invested a lot of time into switching my "user head space" around entirely from Win 7 to Mac. Although I have an Ipod (several of them in fact) for music, my phone is still Android, so I sort of straddle my OS. What I don't like is having to carry around an external DVD drive plus a USB hub for peripherals plus an ethernet to USB connector - and I understand the new Macbook designs have even fewer ports.

The trackpad did take quite a bit of adjustment, even after fiddling with the settings to suit me. There was a bit of a learning curve, especially with 10-15 years of prior experience with trackpads that worked the same way.

When this desktop finally dies (or gets so old that various bits are obsolete and can't be upgraded, which I am guessing is only a year or two away) I will make the decision on whether I will go all the way over to Apple's systems or just keep the Mac Air as my single outlier - it really all depends on what I think of Microsoft's OS at the time.
Don't be surprised if you keep it longer than 4 years. I have a 2010, 13" MacBook Pro, and the way it's going I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. I am running the latest OS, and it has never had a single problem. Use it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers