Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times

Advertisements

I got a classic windows 95 computer today, strickly for nostalgia , it came from some auto repair place, the problem is when i boot it up i get windows 95 splash screen then it goes to some dos program.I can exit to dos but cant get win95 to run im assuming its running in the background, i have found a window(s).exe file at 54M which is the right size for windows95 but it doesnt do anything when i try to run it.its no big deal the computer is just for fun but it would be nice to get it going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:39 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
I started on windows with 95,it was a good os....

Then I got Win98se and I love it!!

Good luck getting her going buddy

Old 12-05-2015, 03:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Have you tried "Safe Mode" by hitting F8 right after post (the computer beep)?

Old 12-05-2015, 03:53 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I got a classic windows 95 computer today, strickly for nostalgia , it came from some auto repair place, the problem is when i boot it up i get windows 95 splash screen then it goes to some dos program.I can exit to dos but cant get win95 to run im assuming its running in the background, i have found a window(s).exe file at 54M which is the right size for windows95 but it doesnt do anything when i try to run it.its no big deal the computer is just for fun but it would be nice to get it going.
After you've exited to DOS, try typing "exit" (without the quote marks) at the DOS prompt and hit enter.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:47 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
If I remember correctly, you can hit ESC key when the splash screen is displayed just to see what is going on in the background.
As Crown mentioned, typing exit would close the DOS window but if you want to launch Windows from within DOS window, then try typing:
win (.exe) > ENTER

or win32 (.exe) > ENTER

Dang it has been so long I can't remember which for sure.

If the OS files are not corrupt, Windows should load just fine.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Seems like I also remember something about hitting escape when the splash screen came up, but honestly, it's been so long ago that I can't remember. It wasn't until the Windows 98 days that I really started getting into computers in terms of a potential career, so I don't remember doing much with Windows 95 except for solitaire, lol!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If I remember correctly, you can hit ESC key when the splash screen is displayed just to see what is going on in the background.
As Crown mentioned, typing exit would close the DOS window but if you want to launch Windows from within DOS window, then try typing:
win (.exe) > ENTER

or win32 (.exe) > ENTER

Dang it has been so long I can't remember which for sure.

If the OS files are not corrupt, Windows should load just fine.
I think it is win.com. The 54M file that the OP found is too large windows98 win.com was only 25kb. If typing win.com doesn't start windows, you might have to type C:\windows\win.com because your Path statement in C:\autoexec.bat might be missing.

The program being launched is probably being launched from c:\autoexec.bat

type c:\autoexec.bat or edit c:\autoexec.bat to look at the file. I forget if the win.com command is suppose to be in the autoexec.bat in windows 95 to start windows.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:11 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Now it's called "Classic Windows"? lol Calling it classic doesn't make it cool. And wouldn't 3.1 be considered Classic?

I'd just call it: old ass windows...

Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Typing "exit" restarts Windows 95 with no further command if you have restarted in DOS mode. I did that many a time, so that's from personal experience and documented below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/138996

Quote:
To restart Windows normally after restarting the computer in MS-DOS mode, type exit at the command prompt and then press ENTER.
It's not clear, though, whether that's what's happening in this case since he said he's seeing a Windows 95 splash screen. We need the OP to come back and update us, filling in more detail.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:40 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Now it's called "Classic Windows"? lol Calling it classic doesn't make it cool. And wouldn't 3.1 be considered Classic?

I'd just call it: old ass windows...
Vintage Windows is what me calls 'em! My cousin still raves about Windows 3.1 File Manager. I liked Deltree so before permanently shutting it down. I copied all my fav Windows executables to a storage. I still use Deltree in my scripts. I prefer and use Windows XP's MSPaint, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Typing "exit" restarts Windows 95 with no further command if you have restarted in DOS mode. I did that many a time, so that's from personal experience and documented below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/138996

It's not clear, though, whether that's what's happening in this case since he said he's seeing a Windows 95 splash screen. We need the OP to come back and update us, filling in more detail.
Yeah, I am guessing something screwy with Autoexec.bat. Lopez2 already mentioned it. Windows loader (win.com or whatever it was) should automatically load right after DOS boot through Autoexec.bat but I vaguely remember corrupt/invalid apps or device driver entry could create issues.
He may have to edit/view Autoexec.bat to see what is in there.

I remember one of my first pranks at my first job where techs were using Windows9x. I added autoexec.bat at the very end of autoexec.bat on this guy's PC and he was wondering why Windows taking forever to load!
He was smart enough to hit Escape key and figure out the culprit. To this day, we still don't know what corrupted the Autoexec.bat on his system!

I better not digress too much. I don' think my heart could bear another ridiculous off-topic message from one of them forum nazis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers